Starting over: Advice for gap year(s)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sorachan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Several recent events in my life have made me realize that medical school is something I really want to pursue. I have finally come to terms with my situation, all things considered, and would really appreciate some advice as I think about moving forward.

I am currently a college senior. I had some personal circumstances during undergrad that prevented me from achieving my true academic potential.
My current cGPA hovers around a 3.2, and my sGPA is ~3.0 (I hope). I do great in humanities courses, however I don't do so well in quant-heavy courses, which I know does not work in my favor. Based on the self-evaluating I have been doing in the past few months, I know that my study habits, coupled with my personal circumstances, have contributed to my average/poor performance in my quantitative classes. I have matured a lot in college, if I can say so myself. I now have the motivation to change, and I'm driven to succeed.

Some tidbits:
-I'm willing to do more school and I'm not opposed to matriculating to med school in my mid 20s.

Things I am happy about my application:
- I have research experience--no publications yet, but I have demonstrated a strong commitment to/vested interest in medical research
- I have clinical experience (volunteer, shadowing, etc. though I will definitely do more before I apply).
- My ECs. Not sure how they "rank" in any sort of hierarchy per se, but I'm very involved and do it because I enjoy what I do.

Concerns:
- My BCPM GPA
- am missing some pre-requisite courses (I never took physics as an undergrad). I am a biology major, so I do have most pre-req science classes because they overlap with my major.

I am looking for an opportunity to retake upper level science courses (math, physics, chemistry, etc.) to prove to med schools that I can do these classes and be successful at them.

My concerns and questions:
- Given my stats and profile, would you recommend a postbacc program (and/or SMP), master's program (I do enjoy research), or an informal postbac?

- What would be the best way to remedy my science GPA? (I have thought about taking colleges at a CC, but it seems like the general consensus is that adcoms don't like people graduating from a 4-year institution then going back to take "easier" classes at a CC. Would taking classes at a place like Harvard or Berkeley Extension be better?).

- How do people typically support themselves financially during a post-baccalaureate program? Could I realistically work while doing a post-bacc?

- What do you recommend at this point to make myself more competitive for MD programs (I also plan to apply to osteopathic schools)?

Thank you!

-
Stressed Senior

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is low and the only way to improve it is by taking a 1 year post bacc program or taking upper science courses at your college. Going to CC after you have attended a 4-year program doesn't make much sense. It's best to continue at the 4-year institution.

The post bacc programs will have FAFSA funding (need based and loans). If you are taking a few courses a semester, you will have time to do paid research or work part-time.

Improve GPA, and continue to conduct research and shadowing,

Hi Tima,

Thanks for your quick response. Do you have any recommendations for particular post bacc programs? I have looked into a few, but I don't really know where to start. Is it typically better to go to a post bacc right after undergrad or not necessarily? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
We can't do a REAL assessment without an MCAT score. Have you been taking any AAMC practice tests, or at the very least study for it? If you take a few and average them we can help you out a little better.

As for GPA, your best bet is to not go with the post-bacc seeing as how you have a degree in Biology. I would go ahead and take physics and a few more upper level chemistry/math/biology (anything medically relevant) courses. Bump up that GPA and don't earn anything less than a B+. Also apply broadly and don't be against DO schools.