Starting Residency In Psych Soon!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrIsh

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if there were any "must read" or "recommended" books that should be used so that I might not look like a complete ****** on July 1.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

starting intern like yourself.

I've grabbed the little spiral bound DSM-IV. the really small one. looking for another good pocket psych book.

Harriet Lane for peds.

Internal medicine, I was pretty happy with just my tarascon. But Pocket Medicine is a great book as well.

No idea on Neuro

As far as textbooks:
Harrison's
Nelson
Kaplan and Saddock--two volume (I have sadock and sadock already and like it)
MGH General Hospital Psychiatry
Essential Psychopharm

That's all I got.

If anyone gots any tips on a white coat book for psych i'm all ears.

this book http://www.amazon.com/Massachusetts...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244565030&sr=8-2 is due to be released at the end of the month. I am thinking of getting it as the "white coat book" (even though we do not have white coats here in the UK :)

There is also the Oxford Handbook of Psychiatry (and its American version http://www.amazon.com/American-Hand...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244565236&sr=8-2 ) and the Maudsley Handbook which is not currently available on amazon.

Essential Psychopharm by Stahl is a GEM.

MoM, what edition of the MGH General Hospital Psychiatry have you got? I am planning on buying one now, and realized that the most recent one available on amazon dates back to 2004. Does anyone know if a new(er) edition is due any time within the next few months?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I was wondering if there were any "must read" or "recommended" books that should be used so that I might not look like a complete ****** on July 1.

Thanks!

Take some advice and perhaps read an interviewing book. Just pick one out of the essential books sticky thread. Interviewing is arguably the most important thing we do, and in retrospect, may have been a better choice for me to read than other stuff that can be easily forgotton or is trivia.

I think you'd make a good impression on the attendings and you'll feel more confident with patients if you have an internal outline of how a good interview should start, progress, and end. It will help you with your ongoing diagnostic formulation, and will help you present in rounds as well.

Just a thought. Kaplan and Saddock is good, but won't translate as immediately as what I've described.

Does anyone know if a new(er) edition is due any time within the next few months?

Someone mentioned the next edition is coming out soon if I remember correctly (was it you Samson?). If that's the case, wait unless you hear otherwise, or borrow the 2004 edition from someone.

K&S-Its so good & bad on several levels. No matter which version I read, I wanted the other. The smaller versions are too small, the biggest version is great, very complete and well written, but you can't use it as quick reference. Its also something you really might not be able to read much during your PGY 1 & 2 years where you don't have much time. There are several areas where they do not cite their source of information which has been a pet peeve of mine.

The K&S test question book is not written in a board style manner. I always found that frustrating.

thanks, whopper. I guess, I will hold off buying the MGH textbook for now, then.

as far as the interviewing is concerned, I am reading the Shea's "Psychiatric Interviewing: the Art of Understanding". It is well-structured, engaging and reads like a novel; it is also widely well-regarded.

there's this thin little green book current clinical practice in psychiatry...bare bones sorta thing, but enough to get you by for a good while, longer if you're at a crappy program. haha

i feel that the only thing that you really need to prepare for starting internship is to come in with a good attitude and work ethic, be willing to learn and be humble, always helpful. (i know, it's like asking to be a saint).

personally, i wouldn't prepare much before....i'd enjoy the rest of my time any freaking way i so chose, cuz very very soon your time will not be yours to say.

Hello,

Thanks!

I hear "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" is real good :smuggrin: