Starting Residency Later

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDO2016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, maybe someone in a similar situation can help. Due to family issues and failing an exam, I am behind on rotations and will not be done with my rotations 4th year until June 15th or July 15th of my graduating year. My school lets me graduate with my class, but I wanted to know if I can apply to residency programs with my class and potentially start that July, a few weeks later (if I finish July 15th)? I didn't want to just waste a whole year doing nothing and applying for residency one year after if I don't have to... I didn't want to get another degree for no reason or do research as I don't really enjoy it and I have years of research experience from undergrad and did summer research after my first year of medical school. I really hope to start residency with my class if possible?

Thanks for your help everyone as I'm sure someone has been in this situation before...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you can find absolutely any way to finish in June, even June 30th, it would make things significantly easier for you.

If not, you will have to find a program, probably an AOA one, that would take you off cycle. Its possible, and people have done it before, but really, if you're at all able to finish on-cycle (i.e. be ready to start residency on July 1st) it will increase your chances of finding a program. Some programs won't even consider starting you off-cycle, so with the board failure it would be good to keep as many options open as possible.

Does your school have programs in their OPTI that usually stay unfilled? If so, you could potentially talk to the programs in your final year and come to an agreement outside of the match.

EDIT: Here is a previous thread on the issue...

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/off-cycle-residency.1054587/

Last edited:
You need to be speaking to your school. They probably don't want you having to start off-cycle or not match just because of a 15 day discrepancy. There must be a way to make sure you graduate on time. Bring this to their attention and keep knocking on doors until you find one that opens.

Reactions: 1 user
Didnt you fail step 1 twice?

Im not trying to be a penis here, but you really need to start doing yourself some favors. If you dont find a way to be ready for an on-cycle application, you will not match.