Starting Residency One Month Late

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurdoc12345

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had to take a leave of absence for a couple of months due to personal reasons and thus will be finishing my clerkship requirements after the first week of July. Will any Anesthesia programs accept me and allow me to start on August 1st? I will have to be honest and direct during interviews about what happened and that I will need to start late. My school allows us to finish in July and still graduate as long as a program is willing to take us one month later.

Also, is there a chance that I start a TRI in August and use my vacation to vacation to make up for starting one month late, thus finishing the TRI at the end of June and beginning my CA-1 on time in July after the TRI?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Bump for myself...I also have a close family friend who is an attending now at the residency program he went to which is in BFE.... so could his connection help me with this program letting me start late??

It is not desirable to start late because of all the initial group training that most programs do that may be difficult to repeat just for you, but it should not be a deal breaker everywhere.
Depending on your personal issues, that might be the real problem.
Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
One of my residency classmates started 3mo late due to an arm injury he suffered right at the end of his intern year. Ended up being a chief.

No just a solid anesthesiologist and an all around good dude

Also, is there a chance that I start a TRI in August and use my vacation to vacation to make up for starting one month late, thus finishing the TRI at the end of June and beginning my CA-1 on time in July after the TRI?

Thanks

I happened to take a TRI spot that opened up unexpectedly and will be starting this week. I had the same question about taking my vacation at the end to finish on time, but the issue is you are under contract for 1 year. While you could use your vacation to move or such you couldn't actually start your residency any sooner than 1 yr post starting your TRI.

Thanks for the replies. It sucks to be in this situation but you have to accept the consequences for your actions. I guess I will apply this fall and see what happens...but if I don't match, the best thing probably would be to take a year off and get back on cycle and re-apply the next year. Cuz if I do a TRI and re-apply, I still would be in the same situation needing a program to let me start CA-1 in August after the TRI.

Another random ?...can I do a TRI and re-apply and if I match start another intern year in July and not technically finish the TRI since I would have to start my second intern year one month before the TRI ends...???

As I stated earlier I took a TRI spot that opened up unexpectedly at the beginning of July. However for whatever reason it took forever and a day to get my HR paperwork processed and I didn't actually start until August.

As others have asked, how will this affect my applications next month? Is it less of an issue for Advanced spots? Also how should I address this or do I need to address this with the programs since it was an HR delay?

Well, I guess it just comes down to you not matching and you scrambled into an available TRI. I don't foresee any major issues. Your best bet would be to have a program close by that would accept you. Hopefully you're working on ERAS again and will submit to a match, but if there's any open out of match positions (doubt it) out there, that'd be even better. I don't know the reasons why you failed to match in first place (i.e. didnt interview/apply to enough vs. red flags academically in med school).

Took a medical LOA during second year and moved back a class. That along with a low step I and no step II is why I think I failed to match gas. Originally had a good research position lined up but on further investigation decided that would likely do very little for me.

Taking step II on Sept 14th, should have the score back by the time the ASA meeting comes around. I'm hoping that will help remedy my situation.

what does the ASA meeting have to do with it? Are you planning on going, meeting programs, and showing off your "hopefully" good Step 2CK score? M'eh.

Medical LOA may be be a red flag for licensing purposes. I don't know though - maybe someone else can answer. Being a DO with low step 1 and potentially decent Step 2CK score may land you a spot in some malignant program.

what does the ASA meeting have to do with it? Are you planning on going, meeting programs, and showing off your "hopefully" good Step 2CK score? M'eh.

Medical LOA may be be a red flag for licensing purposes. I don't know though - maybe someone else can answer. Being a DO with low step 1 and potentially decent Step 2CK score may land you a spot in some malignant program.

Yes I planned to have it back for the ASA meeting to tell PD's something different about me this year from last but if I recall from last year the bulk of interviews went out after the meeting.

I do find it interesting a DO with low step I, and assume average step II who did a TRI in a good hospital system would only give me a "chance" at a malignant program when other threads are bitching how half their incoming class is FMGs.

My other question is if I need to revamp my personal statement to mention applying to the field for a second time?

Last edited:
Yes I planned to have it back for the ASA meeting to tell PD's something different about me this year from last but if I recall from last year the bulk of interviews went out after the meeting.

I do find it interesting a DO with low step I, and assume average step II who did a TRI in a good hospital system would only give me a "chance" at a malignant program when other threads are bitching how half their incoming class is FMGs.

My other question is if I need to revamp my personal statement to mention applying to the field for a second time?

Depends on who these FMGs are. If they're internationally born/bred - I think the bitching is ridiculous. If they're from the carib schools then I understand. There's gonna also be programs out there that will unfairly stigmatize any DO vs. any MD.

I think you may likely need a good "spin" on it, but I don't know if it's even necessary to mention that you're reapplying anesthesia. I don't know if its permanently listed via ERAS or whatever. Quite frankly, you could just say you had an interest in anesthesia, but you wanted to be totally sure so you decided to pursue a TRI and spend that time maximizing your opportunity to be a complete physician while further investigating your career choice and at the same time maximized your opportunities by taking Step 2, getting involved in x, y, z, doing well academically and clinically, did a rotation in anesthesia and further reaffirmed my believe that I am a much better fit in anesthesia than I was in the other specialties, etc.

You may or may not need to address the medical leave - given your med school Dean's letter will likely list it (I'd find out first - if it doesn't then don't mention it - but given that you finished late, it probably will mention it) and you need to work hard in your TRI and get stellar letters to ensure that whatever was an issue is in the past and you're clinically a rock-star (or close enough).

It's all about the spin.

I think it would be very hard for you to match into anesthesia again this year especially with the pretense of you starting a month later than the other CA1s.

You can apply to advanced positions this year OR categorical with the pretense of restarting internship on cycle in July. You will not be able to get a 2015 CA1 position. If you match to an advanced spot you will have an 11 month gap to travel, work in urgent care, etc.

Concentrate on passing Comlex Step 3. Don't blow it off. The most likely scenario for you is to complete an osteopathic FM or IM residency.

Reactions: 1 user