Starting Salary, etc. 2006-2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ophtho1122

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post recent offers you guys have been seeing for General or Subspecialty along with location, incentives, sign on bonus, etc.

I'll start first: Coastal Florida/General with some refractive/$175k starting salary year 1/incentive 30% over double salary/negotiable sign on up to $20k/Partnership potential after year 2.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll post on behalf of a good friend.

NYC - cornea fellowship trianed - he told me he was getting offers ranging from 120s to 165s in NYC - he didn't take the highest offer as he was only going to be in the OR once a week - he landed a job at a community hospital as the chief of cornea and refractive surgery - i think the bonus was in 10kish range - salary was in the 140 - 150 vicinity - he got lucky as the former chief was relocating to some far away place. Hope this helps.

do these salaries seem a bit low - atleast lower than average?

Members don't see this ad :)
do these salaries seem a bit low - atleast lower than average?

Starting salaries are low in bigger cities where the market is saturated i.e. NYC, LA, Boston, etc. This is probably the norm for other specialties also. On the other hand, a PGY4 w/o a fellowship was getting offers in the 300K range from locations in Texas and the Carolinas.

In the past few years General starting salaries were in the neighborhood of $150-200k (that is without bonus included), but with a lot of older docs retiring and a lot of newer docs wanting to work less hours, demand has grown for new docs. Salaries have risen along with demand, from what I am seeing and hearing from other new docs.