State licensing applications - Arrests, freaking out.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KindOfScared

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've searched the forum extensively but haven't found a situation quite like mine.

I'm applying for medical licensure currently and the state I'm applying to requires applicants to disclose arrests (whereas some states only require convictions).

I've been arrested on two separate occasions 5+ years ago. The charges were dismissed on both occasions and I have never been convicted of anything. I'm definitely going to disclose the arrests, I'm just wondering if I will be called in front of the licensing board (which is literally across the country). Or if this will hold up my licensing and lead to problems with my residency program. I have a terrible feeling in my gut that I will be called in front of them (again, not sure how I'll be able to take time off to travel 2000 miles) and all of this when I have never been convicted of anything - innocent until proven guilty.

I guess there's really nothing I can do. I'm just worried. Anyone else have any similar experiences? Please feel free to PM me if you don't want to post publicly.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You will be fine. Be honest. Especially if this is a training license, they won't care. If these were arrests for substance issues, there is a small chance they will want some sort of monitoring -- but unlikely.

I've searched the forum extensively but haven't found a situation quite like mine.

I'm applying for medical licensure currently and the state I'm applying to requires applicants to disclose arrests (whereas some states only require convictions).

I've been arrested on two separate occasions 5+ years ago. The charges were dismissed on both occasions and I have never been convicted of anything. I'm definitely going to disclose the arrests, I'm just wondering if I will be called in front of the licensing board (which is literally across the country). Or if this will hold up my licensing and lead to problems with my residency program. I have a terrible feeling in my gut that I will be called in front of them (again, not sure how I'll be able to take time off to travel 2000 miles) and all of this when I have never been convicted of anything - innocent until proven guilty.

I guess there's really nothing I can do. I'm just worried. Anyone else have any similar experiences? Please feel free to PM me if you don't want to post publicly.

Did you disclose the dismissals on your ERAS under the question "Is there anything in your past that would affect your licensing, etc."?