State school pre-reqs vs. Post-bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SundevilMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are quite a few threads on this topic already but I couldn't really find any that answered all my questions.

I am currently a senior at Arizona State studying Political Science and just recently decided that I want to pursue med school. My GPA isn't very competitive at all (3.0) so I was thinking of finishing my Poli Sci degree and then applying to a post-bacc program designed for career changing students. However, I've read a lot of threads that say that there really is no difference between staying at an undergrad school for an extra year and taking the pre-reqs and attending a formal post-bacc program in the eyes of adcoms, so I'm really unsure of what I should do. I know that post-bacc programs are also pretty pricey, so that is a big factor too. But I am paying out-of-state tuition right now, at roughly $30,000/year, so starting a formal program probably wouldn't be much of a huge price difference. Ideally I would like to take the route that helps me the most and best equips me for my future med school application, while not putting me in a ton of debt. How does admissions weigh a post-bacc program over regular undergrad classes?

Members don't see this ad.

If cash-flow for you and your family isn't an issue, some post-bac programs might be worth it if they are linked to medical schools and offer possible favored admission- each program is different but it may be worth looking into.

To save money, complete your degree and do the pre-reqs at a CC and focus on doing well on the MCAT. This route might be better / worse depending on where your home state is and how many schools are in the area.

Every program will likely look at things differently. So focus more on picking an option that is affordable and where you can do best.

Members don't see this ad :)
With a 3.0 undergrad, the major concern here should be getting A's in rigorous science coursework. Jumping into the pre-reqs and not acing them only lands you in a deeper hole.

Have you taken any science courses before? If not, I'd start out by taking a basic science course at your state school. If you do well, take on more courses the next semester, but be sure to take not more than you can handle.

After graduation move back to your home state and take the science prerequisites at a CC. See if there are local 4 year universities with options for open university, so that you can take some upper division science classes as well like biochem, microbio, cell/developmental bio, etc.. It will be a lot cheaper than enrolling in an official post bacc program.

It will probably take you 2-3 more years, including taking your MCAT but if you put your head down and work its definitely doable.

Reactions: 1 user