State Schools that Accept out of state Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redgrover

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear that the Virginia schools are pretty good about accepting out of state students. Any others?

I'm really not pleased with the locations of my state's med schools. One is in the sticks and the other is in a ghetto war zone. Oh well. I was considering trying to establish residency in South Carolina. Charleston or Columbia would work fine...

Members don't see this ad.

Off the top of my head, Nebraska and Vermont had a pretty large percentage of out-of-state members in their classes when I was applying.

I think Penn State med school doesn't care about your residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
University of Michigan--nonresidents constitute 50% of the entering class every year.

its probably easier to list state schools that take NO out of staters.

I've been suprised by how many state schools have offered me interviews (and acceptances).

The SUNYs no longer take residency as a factor in their admission decisions, though there is still a difference in tuition for in and out of staters. This is at least what I was told at my interviews at Upstate and Downstate.

Originally posted by elias514
University of Michigan--nonresidents constitute 50% of the entering class every year.

Bingo, U Mich is a great example, one that I think the Va schools should contine to follow.

Coops

Originally posted by AverageMan
The SUNYs no longer take residency as a factor in their admission decisions, though there is still a difference in tuition for in and out of staters. This is at least what I was told at my interviews at Upstate and Downstate.

Wow, is this really true? Is there anyway to verify this, because I checked SUNY Downstate's webpage and it still says they give preference to instate people.

Originally posted by An Yong
Wow, is this really true? Is there anyway to verify this, because I checked SUNY Downstate's webpage and it still says they give preference to instate people.

I think they still give prefererence to in state, but less so than before.

I, of course, got rejected, out of state.
Oh yeah, their rejection letter was arrogant and belittling

Here's a list of schools that take non-residents and some that are extremely difficult to manage if you're non-res. Keep in mind that this isn't a comprehensive list.

Schools that consider out-of-state

Penn State
Indiana U
U of Illinois
UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson (Don't be misled by the numbers, they have an interesting residency classification policy)
UCSF
UCLA
U Vermont
Wayne State

Schools that are difficult to manage if you're out-of-state

U of Washington
UCI
UC Davis
UMDNJ-New Jersey Med
U Iowa
U Mass (doesn't take non-res)
U Arizona (doesn't take non-res)