States where you can change residency after M1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Handinhand

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched for a thread on this and it seems a lot of the info is outdated, and with a lot of states changing this policy within the last few years, I was hoping we could create a list of known states/schools that will allow you to change residency after M1 and pay in state tuition for years M2,3,&4.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

SUNYs you can...

California schools essentially require you to change state residency after M1

Members don't see this ad :)
Uh what? The UC's forbid you from obtaining residency while you are a student. You have to live in CA for a year as a non-student

OP, I believe the TX schools let you pay in state tuition for M2-M4

yup

Anyone know how easy it is to get residency in Virginia?

Anyone know how easy it is to get residency in Virginia?

You really can't if you are going to school during the year you are establishing residency.

Ohio state university :D

not colorado

Yeah Colorado was on my shortlist of schools I really wanted to apply to, but once i found out I'd be paying 75k/year for all four years it quickly came off.

I'll add that Wisconsin, my home state, will not grant you residency after your first year. However, from what I've seen Wisconsin has very generous OOS tuition; some of the lowest I've seen actually.

Members don't see this ad :)
It bugged me that there wasn't a list yet, so I made one. Maybe we could do a quote and edit if people know more/different info or can add state(s)?
Edit: I'll add Illinois in the "can not" group. You -can-, but it's almost impossible (1 yr living and working for non-educational purposes, you have to have made at least half the tuition in wages, etc. See here)

CAN establish residency after M1:
Missouri
New York (SUNYs)
Ohio
Texas

can NOT establish residency after M1:
California (unless you live as a non-student)
Colorado
Illinois (see this)
Wisconsin

Last edited:
It bugged me that there wasn't a list yet, so I made one. Maybe we could do a quote and edit if people know more/different info or can add state(s)?
Edit: I'll add Illinois in the "can not" group. You -can-, but it's almost impossible (1 yr living and working for non-educational purposes, you have to have made at least half the tuition in wages, etc. See here)

Missouri
New York (SUNYs)
Ohio
Texas

Colorado
Illinois (see this)
Wisconsin

You can do it in California. I don't think you can as an undergrad, but you can as a med student. I was told this by the financial aid office at one of the UC schools. They gave me a list of things to do to obtain residency.

Uh what? The UC's forbid you from obtaining residency while you are a student. You have to live in CA for a year as a non-student

OP, I believe the TX schools let you pay in state tuition for M2-M4

This may have changed, but when I was in med school you had to own property. If you came in from out of state and were just paying rent, you were not considered in state. Condos counted though, which was why there was a little condo farm that changed hands every four years.

Missouri
New York (SUNYs)
Ohio
Texas
South Carolina

Colorado
Illinois (see this)
Wisconsin
Virginia (except if you marry a resident)

Though this is probably not exactly what you're looking for, this page has links to the residency requirements by state (at the bottom).

As many mentioned above, most states add a clause preventing you from 'accumulating residency time' while enrolled in school (despite paying taxes, driver's license, etc).

You can do it in California. I don't think you can as an undergrad, but you can as a med student. I was told this by the financial aid office at one of the UC schools. They gave me a list of things to do to obtain residency.
Was one of those things to do "live in CA for 366 days as a non-student"?

UCSF is only a graduate school, and their California residency website says "If you are in California solely for educational purposes, you will not be considered to have established a residence for tuition purposes, regardless of the length of your stay."
http://registrar.ucsf.edu/registration/residency

Missouri
New York (SUNYs)
Ohio
Texas
South Carolina

Colorado
Illinois (see this)
Wisconsin
Michigan
Vermont (unless you were getting your financial support from in-state when you moved here, see here)

This website seems to support that you can become a CA resident after 1 year of medical school.
http://grad.berkeley.edu/admissions/cost_fees.shtml

It says "Students are classified as residents or nonresidents after completing the Statement of Legal Residence shortly after being admitted to the university. Many graduate students (U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and some eligible non-immigrants) who enter UC Berkeley as nonresidents and establish residency for the required year may be classified as residents for tuition purposes within one year after their arrival. These students then receive the benefit of paying fees at the lower resident rate. The classification process is not automatic. Continuing nonresident students who have made California their permanent home and believe that they are eligible for resident status must submit a residency classification petition, along with supporting documentation, to the Residence Affairs Office prior to established deadlines. Even though nonresident students will probably not submit a petition to change their residency status until the end of their first academic year at Berkeley, you must start the process of fulfilling the residency requirements as soon as you arrive. This includes documenting when you arrived, that your year of physical presence in this state is coupled with your intent to make California your home, and that you are financially independent."

They also give a list of things you need to do to gain residency. Interesting

Missouri
New York (SUNYs)
Ohio
Texas
South Carolina

Colorado
Illinois (see this)
Wisconsin
Michigan
Vermont (unless you were getting your financial support from in-state when you moved here, see here)
Florida (unless you marry a florida resident)

Missouri
New York (SUNYs)
Ohio
Texas
South Carolina

Colorado
Illinois (see this)
Wisconsin
Michigan
Florida (unless you marry a florida resident)

I don't want to add this to the NOT list because I'm not a 100% sure, but if someone with more knowledge can chime in...

I think you can't establish residency as a student in North Carolina.

I don't want to add this to the NOT list because I'm not a 100% sure, but if someone with more knowledge can chime in...

I think you can't establish residency as a student in North Carolina.

Someone I know that graduated from UNC Chapel Hill confirmed this. North Carolina will make you pay OOS tuition every year.

Hmmm.... UCLA told everyone during the interview that the Financial Aid office will help you get everything done to be a CA resident by the end of your M1. I'm like 98% sure thats what they were telling us, not that it's relevant to me but...

Additionally with Texas if the school gives you at least $1000 in scholarship money you will get a tuition waiver and get to pay instate tuition. Most schools seem to work with their OOS students to make sure they at least get this much so they qualify for the cheaper tuition. Same is true for undergrad.