States with the widest scope of practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ehwhatsupdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering podiatric medical school, mainly NYCPM since I currently reside in NYC. I've been perusing these these forums for a while now, but I'm having trouble finding how different states differ in their scope of practice. I understand New York recently extended Podiatrist's scope of practice to include the ankle, but are there any states that go further like everything below the knee? I'm assume your services would be more in demand to orthopedic groups if you lived in a state with greater scope. I am of the opinion that Podiatry is a great field and is definitely currently expanding, but I'm curious how most residents find employment since I don't see that many job advertisements on most job sites. I know the jobs are definitely out there, since it seems like every hospital employs at least 2-4 or more podiatrists (some of the major hospitals have 10 or more on staff) and I'm sure some move or retire. Has anyone had luck in contacting or cold calling different hospitals or practices?

A little about myself, I'm currently a Clinical Laboratory Technologist. My ug gpa is 3.0 overall, 2.9 science, I also did a masters in biotechnology 3.65 gpa. I'm currently studying to take the MCAT by early January (before they change it!). Thank you all for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Also when applying, do they include graduate science gpa into the overall gpa?

Members don't see this ad :)
I made it. Its not current. In theory, New York has been updated (good luck interpreting what their statute says - you'll need a JD and a DPM). Someone later showed me another website that shows Massachusetts does not have ankle in scope and I've been told that is the case by people who would know better than me. Last of all, I believe... Maryland has updated their scope to include acute treatment of ankle fractures - something cool like that.

Reactions: 1 user
if you must/want to do ankle surgery, then this would be a concern. additionally, if you wanna do hand surgery, i hear in Alaska, DPMs can work on hands. realistically though, all states have enough scope for you to do what a podiatrist needs to do. also take into consideration that some residency programs may have different scopes than if you were to practice there. When I visited Yale, they were telling me that in connecticut you can't operate on the ankle, but you can at the DVA Yale residency program

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know how current this is, but there you go.
Thank you so much for that list. I'll have to research this some more to look for any changes. It seems like some states in the South and West have the widest scopes of practice. Interestingly, I believe these states also have the highest incomes.

if you must/want to do ankle surgery, then this would be a concern. additionally, if you wanna do hand surgery, i hear in Alaska, DPMs can work on hands. realistically though, all states have enough scope for you to do what a podiatrist needs to do. also take into consideration that some residency programs may have different scopes than if you were to practice there. When I visited Yale, they were telling me that in connecticut you can't operate on the ankle, but you can at the DVA Yale residency program
That makes sense with the VA medical centers. I believe they don't necessarily follow state guidelines since the Department of Veteran's Affairs is a federal entity. For example I know you don't need to be licensed for that state the VA hospital is located in as long as you have a license in any one of the 50 states. I'm guessing for DVA Yale, ankle surgery is done at the West Haven VA and everything else at Yale New Haven Hospital.