Statistics Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stochastic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good statistics book for a dual degree student about to enter the PhD portion of training? I have the Lange Basic and Clinical Biostatistics by Dawson and Trapp from a previous course. I would like to find a text that would be heavier (but not too heavy) on actual math and more applicable to basic science than clinical. Even recommendations from what your school uses for their intro grad stat class would be great. My school uses Statistical Methods 2e by Freund and Wilson, but I probably wont be taking the class. Therefore, a book with plenty of examples and maybe even practice problems would be nice. I have looked on Amazon.com, but can seem to find what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I took a biostatistics class and we used "Statistical Methods in Bioinformatics: An Introduction" by Warren J. Ewens and Gregory R. Grant. It seems to be subtitled "Statistics for Biology and Health." It starts with the basics and proceeds to introduce you to the major methods of application of statistics to basic science. i.e. shotgun sequencing, DNA/protein comparisons, phylogenic trees, going through the stat behind it like random walks, markov chains, etc. Practice problems are included.

That book has some info basic probability theory, like if you wanted to know how to analyze your data, but I would suggest another book if this is your purpose. "Applied Linear Statistical Models" by Michael H Kutner, Christopher J. Nachtsheim, John Neter, and William Li. They go through how to plan efficient experiments, analyze and regression on multidimensional data, and significance testing to account for Type I Error. In general, just how to make your data comparable and testable.

stochastic said:
Can anyone recommend a good statistics book for a dual degree student about to enter the PhD portion of training? I have the Lange Basic and Clinical Biostatistics by Dawson and Trapp from a previous course. I would like to find a text that would be heavier (but not too heavy) on actual math and more applicable to basic science than clinical. Even recommendations from what your school uses for their intro grad stat class would be great. My school uses Statistical Methods 2e by Freund and Wilson, but I probably wont be taking the class. Therefore, a book with plenty of examples and maybe even practice problems would be nice. I have looked on Amazon.com, but can seem to find what I'm looking for. Thanks.

What are you looking for in particular? "Practical Stats for Medical Research" by Altman is a good bio stats book.

Are you looking for something more in bioinformatics that covers prediction methods, machine learning, gene expression analysis, ect? I'll have to look but I have some great ones for those types of topics.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll second that emotion for Altman via Surg Path. I refer to this book on a frequent basis.

Wow, those gaming topics pertain to martingale theory, and that is one of the most difficult areas of statistics. I am a PhD in statistics and those methods (theory) comes up in measure theory which is a third-year grad course and arguably the most difficult of the program. I take that next year and it is really interesting. The gaming theory comes into play in survival analysis many times, and in the applied masters level class you cannot understand it fully until later.

cdpiano27 said:
Wow, those gaming topics pertain to martingale theory, and that is one of the most difficult areas of statistics. I am a PhD in statistics and those methods (theory) comes up in measure theory which is a third-year grad course and arguably the most difficult of the program. I take that next year and it is really interesting. The gaming theory comes into play in survival analysis many times, and in the applied masters level class you cannot understand it fully until later.

Sorry, what gaming topics?