Statistics: HLM & Qualitative methods

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clar0780

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Starting my first year of graduate school in the fall (School Psych, PhD). I'll be applying for an assistantship that requires some knowledge of hierarchical linear modeling, multiple regression, and qualitative methods (ethnography, grounded theory). Do you SDNers have any suggestions for a statistics book that may cover these topics with a little more depth? I'd like to study over the summer. Let me know, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Any decently respectable graduate level stats book will cover multiple regression.

For HLM, I liked the Raudenbush book. Education seems to favor the HLM software so t may be good for that too. I've also heard good things about the Gelman's book but haven't had a chance to pick it up yet.

Thank you! I'm checking out the Gelman book on Amazon. Seems like a good one!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anything written by corbin and strauss for grounded theory.

Hi everyone,

Starting my first year of graduate school in the fall (School Psych, PhD). I'll be applying for an assistantship that requires some knowledge of hierarchical linear modeling, multiple regression, and qualitative methods (ethnography, grounded theory). Do you SDNers have any suggestions for a statistics book that may cover these topics with a little more depth? I'd like to study over the summer. Let me know, thanks!

Grabtree, B. F. & Miller, W. L. (Eds.). Doing Qualitative Research, published by Sage. Found that very helpful and useful.

Hi everyone,

For HLM, I really enjoyed:

Singer, J. D., & Willett, J. B. (2003). Applied Longitudinal Analysis. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.

Tabachnick, B. G., and Fidell, L. S. (2007). Using Multivariate Statistics. Boston, MA: Allyn and Bacon.

I also found reading articles of your interest that employed these techniques very helpful. You can see them in action so to speak!

As Ollie123 mentioned, you can find discussions of multiple regression in many statistics textbooks, but I especially like Multiple Regression and Beyond by Tim Keith. His background and research is in school psychology his so examples would be relevant for you.

Thank you for the feedback everyone! Much appreciated. I look forward to checking out these resources