stats for ob/gyn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neilc

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i did't get too much info on the ob/gyn board, so i thought i would try here...

what kind of usmle scores have been required for spots in ob/gyn?

i know that these ?'s get asked a lot, but it is a good yardstick for me...

still torn between gen surg and ob/gyn, so trying to get more info. thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Wassup Neil?

For US seniors I would think that a 200 is the minimum. To be considered seriously by good programs I would guess that >210 is recommended. Since you're an IMG-to-be, then you might need a slightly higher score. But, since there a lot of slots in ob/gyn, you should find a spot if you send out enough apps.

My advice is to do some rotations in the U.S. at less compettive programs so that they can get to know you, and so that you can demonstrate your abilities. Also, try to find an ob/gyn stateside that will be your mentor/advisor and who is willing to make some calls for you.

I have a question for you. I want to spend a month next spring (I'm a 4th year) overseas doing some kind of rotation, and I was wondering if Charles U. had anything like that for visiting students. I spent some time in Prague before med school, and would love to go back. I'm looking for a realtively non-taxing medical experience that will allow enough time for some quality U Fleku/Joe's Bar time... What do you think?

Good luck!

i think the school would have something for you...they have a ton of short term (2-4 week) rotations, and you could slide in with the 4th/5th year students here. the language should not be too much of an issue, as you would be with english speaking students and profs.

just send me an email, at [email protected] and i will get you pointed in the right direction.

the good news is that rotations here are quite a bit more mellow. no overnight call, no real pimping. a lot of reading and pt interviews. plenty of time for pivo and prague nightlife, a nice elective/vacation.

talk to you soon!