Stats of Applicants to Irish schools and Acceptance, Waitlist or Rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
tbh I'm finishing an internship now and I have job offers in addition to a standing offer to stay full time at my current company, and I'm really liking working and making money to pay off my stupid loans.......... so up yours, med school -_- there's always next year....

here's to summer 2014 app season :soexcited: @Steele. lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Folks, some people in my RCSI class this year got accepted in July/August. Nothing is over unless you get a direct rejection! Keep the faith!

Also, I know that Limerick 2nd round interviews are this week, on the 30th in Toronto.

Folks, some people in my RCSI class this year got accepted in July/August. Nothing is over unless you get a direct rejection! Keep the faith!

Also, I know that Limerick 2nd round interviews are this week, on the 30th in Toronto.

Thank you so much, this is good news.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got into GEM UCD. 33 MCAT and 3.8 GPA, with research experience.

I got into GEM Limerick with a 3.2 GPA, 25 MCAT, lots of research and shadowing experience and a publication.

Reactions: 1 users
Received official rejection letter for NUIG 5 year yesterday. I emailed Atlantic Bridge, and they said that both Trinity and NUIG have sent out second round acceptances.

Apparently I am still in the running for Trinity 5 year, and I would love to go. I'm not keeping my hopes up though.

Received official rejection letter for NUIG 5 year yesterday. I emailed Atlantic Bridge, and they said that both Trinity and NUIG have sent out second round acceptances.

Apparently I am still in the running for Trinity 5 year, and I would love to go. I'm not keeping my hopes up though.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your GPA? Just so I can get an idea of what to expect if I ever end up actually hearing from them...

Just got rejected from NUIG 5 year.
Still waiting for TCD 5 year - will be going to TCD if accepted, but currently not expecting any good news...

B.Sc. GPA: 3.45
Masters GPA: 3.60

Rejected at NUIG 5 year still keeping hopes up at 3 other Irish schools! Cheers everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
Just accepted to UQ-Ochsner in Australia. I am withdrawing my application to Trinity 5 year (not that I thought I would get in at this point anyway).

Just accepted to UQ-Ochsner in Australia. I am withdrawing my application to Trinity 5 year (not that I thought I would get in at this point anyway).
Congratulations! I'm sure studying in Australia will be a great experience!

Is it inappropriate/wrong for me to hope that your withdrawal opens up a spot for me? lol

Congrats, UQ-O will give you a better shot at residency than TCD will and on top of that you get to study in Australia, pretty jealous here lol.

Congrats @Steele you made it. Wishing you happy Australian years.

Has anyone heard anything from TCD 5-year?
Still waiting...with little hope. The Leaving Cert results for Irish high school students came out yesterday morning. I don't know what effect that might have on applicants to the 5 year program, but it is the only connection I can make.

I am applying this year and was wondering what are my chances of getting in to any Irish med school?

I'm from: Toronto
My country of citizenship is: Canada
Currently studying: Double Major in Human Biology and Biochemistry
At this University: University of Toronto
My GPA is: 3.0
My MCAT Scores were: Will be taking it

I am a fifth year Uoft student. During my undergrad I volunteered in a research lab, did research abroad, I have a 1st author publication, presented at a international conference, volunteered at an hospital for 2 years, tutored secondary school math and science, played field hockey, soccer, and volleyball, and a part-time job.

What are my chances? Thanks.

I am applying this year and was wondering what are my chances of getting in to any Irish med school?

I am a fifth year Uoft student. During my undergrad I volunteered in a research lab, did research abroad, I have a 1st author publication, presented at a international conference, volunteered at an hospital for 2 years, tutored secondary school math and science, played field hockey, soccer, and volleyball, and a part-time job.

Great ECs, but I think this will depend on your MCAT scores. I think if you can get over 30 its worth applying.

Your chances are quite good. Your extracurricular so definitely help you out and hold quite a bit of weight on your application. I'm at UL now and love it! I know from experience and talking to other classmates that UL in particular places more emphasis on what you've done outside of you academics. Don't get me wrong, grades are important, but their not the only factor defining your chances for med school.

As long as you take the MCAT (assuming you're looking at 4yr programs) and get decent scores, (aim for 30 but people have been accepted with lower) I'd definitely consider you a good applicant. Don't get discouraged from other peoples posts with their stats and grades, every school is looking for something different and that may work to your advantage!

Hey man,

I had a 28 MCAT, really good extracurriculars. GPA at Western was

1st year - 2.46
2nd year - 3.13
3rd year - 3.8
4th year - 3.7

I submitted 7 reference letters and I'm currently in my 1st year at UCC in Ireland.
Anything is possible, they are looking for people who stand out. I'm convinced my reference letters separated me from the rest and a nice upward trend in GPA showed that my 1st and 2nd years weren't reflective of my academics.
Good luck!

Thanks guys. I'm definitely applying this year. But taking my MCAT in April and I believe this is too late of an date to get into the 4 year program. If i get into Galway or University of Dublin (5 year program) can I switch universities after my first year and go to RCSI or limerick the following year?

Thanks guys. I'm definitely applying this year. But taking my MCAT in April and I believe this is too late of an date to get into the 4 year program. If i get into Galway or University of Dublin (5 year program) can I switch universities after my first year and go to RCSI or limerick the following year?

No, switching isn't done at all. There's stats of those who have tried per school and it's along the lines of one every 5 years for ridiculous circumstances.

Just got confirmation email that my med application is complete. It's only end of November and I am already DYYYING. What better ways are there to relieve your anxiety than to tap-dance through SDN? ;)

I'm from: Toronto, Canada
My country of citizenship is: Canadian
Studied: H.B.Sc. Biochemistry and Human Biology (graduated june 2014)
My GPA is: 3.71 cGPA
My MCAT Scores were (PS/VR/BS) 11/10/12 = 33O
ECs: 1 year biochemistry research, 6 years symphony orchestra, 3 years of strong clinical volunteering as a nursing unit musician and endocrinology triage team with plenty of patient interaction, language (Japanese, Korean, beginner German), some work experience, tutoring, beginner ballet, writing club. Heavily music oriented ECs.

I have somewhat interesting personal statement including my interest in the field of space medicine.

My primary schools of choice are TCD, RCSI, and UCD (with TCD on the top!). I can't seem to find admission statistics for the schools, though, which is not helping my anxiety problem. How competitive does my application look? Any inputs are welcome :D

Just got confirmation email that my med application is complete. It's only end of November and I am already DYYYING. What better ways are there to relieve your anxiety than to tap-dance through SDN? ;)

I'm from: Toronto, Canada
My country of citizenship is: Canadian
Studied: H.B.Sc. Biochemistry and Human Biology (graduated june 2014)
My GPA is: 3.71 cGPA
My MCAT Scores were (PS/VR/BS) 11/10/12 = 33O
ECs: 1 year biochemistry research, 6 years symphony orchestra, 3 years of strong clinical volunteering as a nursing unit musician and endocrinology triage team with plenty of patient interaction, language (Japanese, Korean, beginner German), some work experience, tutoring, beginner ballet, writing club. Heavily music oriented ECs.

I have somewhat interesting personal statement including my interest in the field of space medicine.

My primary schools of choice are TCD, RCSI, and UCD (with TCD on the top!). I can't seem to find admission statistics for the schools, though, which is not helping my anxiety problem. How competitive does my application look? Any inputs are welcome :D

I think your application looks really competitive, i'm almost sure you'll get an offer, did you write your MCAT a while ago? They seem to have removed the writing sample a few years ago.

I think your application looks really competitive, i'm almost sure you'll get an offer, did you write your MCAT a while ago? They seem to have removed the writing sample a few years ago.

What a relief. This is my first time applying, and not many of my pre-med friends are applying with me so I had no one to compare my stats with. I wrote my MCAT summer 2012, which was the final year with writing samples. I heard TCD is not a safety school at all and is very hard on stats, hence my worries : (

Good luck, I don't know how difficult TCD is but I think you should be able to get an offer from at least one of those schools and maybe your preferred school as well!

Last edited:
im applying to ireland for med school and was wondering what my chances are considering i had a great high school GPA and my experience
High School GPA: 94%
University GPA: 76%
no MCAT

my father has suffered from 4 heart attacks and a quintuple bypass and heart disease runs in my family. so it is for that reason that i want to go into medicine. its all ive ever wanted to to do and is my passion.

im co-author of a 300+ pg medical textbook, have assisted angioplasty, published twice in the american college of cardiology, have worked at cardiac hospital for 5 years where i have shadowed open heart surgery, medical conferencing, clinic, interventional caridology, etc. worked in a lab for a summer and was recently hired by a top researcher for this coming summer and possibly year if i dont get into medicine. I have volunteered at vet clinic for two years, graduated high school with top honours and top five in my grade, have been a member of a provincial and nationally ranked competitive cheerleading team for 8 years. founder of my own food drive that was written up about in the Canadian Jewish Newspaper, orientation volunteer at unviersity for 3 years, senior editor of my high school year book which won an award from the publishers, went on a humanitarian computer aid project in kenya, have tutored in spansih and calculus, speak french and spanish fluently, published and created 3 pediatric surgical guides for a hospital, leader in an anti-bullying campaign sponsored by the CFL, recipient of a national cheerleading scholarship for outstanding academics and athletics, went on an exchange in costa rica, and hospital volunteer in day surgery and emergency clinic
so basically, i had an outstanding high school GPA and a 76% in university, but i have a ton of experience
thoughts?

You need the MCAT. Why not take the MCAT and try your luck with American schools? Your ECS and life experience seem impressive and could help you in that realm.

i wasn't happy with my score so i chose to apply without them. you dont need them if you apply to the 5 year programs. my gpa isnt high enough for the usa thats why im not applying there

What a relief. This is my first time applying, and not many of my pre-med friends are applying with me so I had no one to compare my stats with. I wrote my MCAT summer 2012, which was the final year with writing samples. I heard TCD is not a safety school at all and is very hard on stats, hence my worries : (
your stats are competitive for American schools, stick with those in the next app cycle and you'll get in somewhere.

i wasn't happy with my score so i chose to apply without them. you dont need them if you apply to the 5 year programs. my gpa isnt high enough for the usa thats why im not applying there
How bad was your mcat?

If you take a year to improve your gpa with an upward trend, you can get a shot at an interview with your strong ECs. it depends on how it converts to the GPA system.

taking an extra year to improve yourself and go for American schools, will be better than going to whatever 5 year program is going to take you. That option will still be there, if you still dont get into the US.

Think it over..

Hey guys,
If anyone could spill some insight for me Id really appreciate it.
I have a 3.2 GPA (honours life science @ mcmaster, upward trend) with 25 MCAT (P9 V6 B10), currently doing two research projects and lots of well rounded ECs. Do I have a chance for GEP? I applied to UCC, UCD, RCSI, and Limerick.

That's fairly low. It would be a good idea to look at your MCAT, first; GPA trends and whatnot get complicated. So, how long did you prepare for the MCAT, and what methods did you use?

That's fairly low. It would be a good idea to look at your MCAT, first; GPA trends and whatnot get complicated. So, how long did you prepare for the MCAT, and what methods did you use?

I did studied 4 months, and my score was lower than my practises tests, I thought I was prepared.I used a prep course to study and Im planning to write the new one if anything.

Any idea when we may start to hear back from schools?

Also, just curious what people thought of the 4 and 5 year programs. Would anyone here choose a 5 year one over a 4 year? If so, why?

Thanks

Any idea when we may start to hear back from schools?

Also, just curious what people thought of the 4 and 5 year programs. Would anyone here choose a 5 year one over a 4 year? If so, why?

Thanks
I was wondering the same thing. If someone who has gone through the five year program could give some feedback it would be great!

From what I've read on other forums it seems like some people prefer the 5 year program because they find it makes it easier to adjust. Basically the first year of the 5 year program is an easier year for those who have completed an undergrad degree. This is because you are essentially going over stuff that you probably already covered in your undergrad degree.

But of course money is an issue too- an extra year is more tuition, more rent, etc.

what about MCAT? Did you get invite for 4 year or 5 year program.
I'm assuming the only offers that have come out so far were for the 5 and 6 year programs at RCSI, as dbkv wouldn't have qualified for the 4 year program without a degree. Seeing as they included their high school grades it's most likely the 6 year program.

I have receievd an interview invite for RCSI as well. Has any1 else heard from UCD, UCC, Trinitiy or other colleges?

Last edited:
I'm assuming the only offers that have come out so far were for the 5 and 6 year programs at RCSI, as dbkv wouldn't have qualified for the 4 year program without a degree. Seeing as they included their high school grades it's most likely the 6 year program.

I received an interview invite for the 4 year RCSI program yesterday. When I called to schedule my interview this morning, one of the two dates they invited me to was already booked solid (15 minutes after the office opened).

35 MCAT (11PS,12VR,12BS), 3.32 GPA from top-tier liberal arts college, US citizenship, graduated in 2012 with BS in Psychology + concentration in medical humanities. Have been working in healthcare policy research for a Harvard Medical School professor since graduating. Significant clinical experience, including 2000 hours as an EMT during college.

hey guys, what kind of interview questions are youll preparing for the RCSI? any resources to share?

Just received an interview for RCSI in March! Such a relief