Staying Active in Vet School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EastCoast94

East Coast Cowgirl
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I am applying now, and if everything works out, hopefully I'll be accepted to vet school! In college I'm pretty active (horseback riding and working out at the gym a lot) and was wondering, has anyone done long running races? I'm about to do a 9.11 miler and was wondering if anyone in vet school has run those distances or even more! People always say you have zero time in vet school for anything. Is this true? And if so, how do you stay active?

Members don't see this ad.

You have as much free time as you allow yourself...everyone has the same 24 hours in the day. It may mean you cut your studying an hour short every day or getting up earlier, but its up to you. If running is important to you, make time to do it. One of my classmates ran a couple full marathons each year and many ran regularly. Some people brought horses and rode several times a week. Others spent their time with their kids. For me, studying, sleeping, and time with my friends/family were more important than regular trips to the gym but those were my priorities.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A ton of people from my class trained and did 5ks, 10ks, half marathons, marathons and triathlons. Many went to the gym regularly. A bunch of us also did IM or city sports leagues. Another classmate competed in quidditch at at least a national level.

I did a 15k and a half marathon and he savage race. First-3rd year I went to the gym several times a week. Then I started crossfit 3x/week in my clinical year and did a competition.

So there is definitely time. You just have to decided how you want to prioritize your free time.

Reactions: 1 user
A friend of mine did a 15k today. You can do as much or as little as you want as long as you manage your time appropriately.

She didn't finish her races sufficiently fast enough to earn a medal; but she is still an Olympian.

Laura Muir competed as a member of team Great Britain.
Still, it's the Olympics! That's incredible.

Still, it's the Olympics! That's incredible.
Agreed!

veterinarian-smiley-emoticon.gif

I was no Olympian but I was able to train for and run in a few 5K races, played hockey on a few different teams (some adult league house teams and a more competitive traveling women's team) and was a hockey referee during vet school, even during clinics. If you prioritize it, you'll be able to do it. I'm sure I could have had better grades without taking off to tournaments once a month, but that was a tradeoff I was willing to make and in the end I did fine.

Reactions: 1 user
I ran and did pole/silks all the time through the first three years. Constantly traveling and shifting schedules in fourth year kicked me on my butt and I wasn't nearly as active as I should have been through that, but it was not impossible by any means (just not a big enough priority for me). Just gotta decide that you're going to put that in your time budget and do it.