Staying for a 5th year in Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Assaivivace

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
edited

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was a non-science major all through freshman year, and changed this past summer (I'm a sophomore now) I had a W from 2nd semester Freshman year, and 2Ws over the summer in Bio 2 and Chem 1 (I was taking bio and chem to catch me up) because my grandfather had a stroke and I needed to go home to help take care of him. Just got my grades for this semester.. A in Anatomy, but a C in Chem 1 and a C in Psychology, because of the strain of my problems at home. At the end of 2nd semester sophomore, I only have a 3.16

However, I know those grades didn't reflect my abilities in those classes, but I calculated that if I get straight As from here until I graduate, I'll barely scrape a 3.6 (3.7 if I'm lucky).

Should I stay an extra year and retake that Chem and Psych grade (I also wanted to study abroad for a semester, hence a year instead of one semester)? Or will Medical Schools be okay with that upward trend from here on out, even if that means being in the 3.6 range, especially since this is my first semester as a science major, and I was home schooled throughout high school (so no AP/Honors opportunities), and have some unique experiences (research next semester, taking Gross Anatomy, fluent in Spanish).

Or instead of staying an extra year is it better to do some sort of post-bacc program, while trying to gain additional research or clinical experience?
You might consider taking time off from school until your family situation is more stable, so as to not further endanger your GPA.

Whether you stay a fifth year or do a postbac, the effect on your cumulative GPA for application purposes will be the same. So you could do a postbac at a cheaper school for the fifth year if it is better for your finances. You would, however, lose registration priority if you are not a degree candidate, and might have to start paying back educational loans.

I would consider a retake of the Chem I, mainly because I doubt you "got it" with all the distractions going on, but not necessarily the Psych, as it is a prerequisite for few schools. OTOH, if you feel you did master Chem I sufficiently to ace Chem II, then a retake isn't necessary.

I think either way you'll be okay. A 3.6 isn't the best GPA but definitely not the worst. If you can afford an extra year and think you'll be in a much more advantageous position, then go for it.