staying in state (or not) to work after finishing pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

So what did you do?

• I stayed in my home state after going to pharmacy school.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I stayed in my home state for school, but preferred to go out of state for work.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • I came back to my home state after going to pharmacy school

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I went out of state for pharmacy school and stayed there

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • I go where the jobs are.

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters

crazybob

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to pharmacy school in my home state, but I've been thinking about going to a different state for work if I can do a residency, work for the VA, work in a nuclear pharmacy, etc.

I was just wondering if most people stay in the state where they went to pharmacy school, or if they move back home and find jobs to work there. Are there people who want to go out of state for work because they don't want to work in their home state or the state where they went to pharmacy school?

I used the search function, and the only relating article was about in-state or out-of-state before applying. I'm talking about choosing a place after graduating and finding jobs (for those of you currently working).

I'm gonna put up a poll.

Members don't see this ad.

Your state is getting saturated really fast. I guess you can go work for Fred's in Dumas or Gould. Even Pine Bluff seems saturated.

I plan to work in whatever state I can get a residency/job in, as long as it's drivable back home (doesn't need to be a short drive).

And on the East Coast all states are like 2-3 hours drive between each other, so even if I go as far as NC that's still 6-7 hours. Not a big deal. PA has 7 pharmacy schools, so I don't think it'll be too feasible to find a good job in this state.

Maybe I should move to CT, that pharmacyweek article said there are jobs there :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to Ohio State and Columbus was very saturated this past spring, with Ohio Northern an hour north, Toledo 2 hours north, Cincy an hour southwest. Tons of new PharmDs in the area.

I had done rotations all over my last year to see where I may like living (was in Vegas a month, Honolulu and West Palm Beach FL). Ended up getting a job offer from the FL DM of CVS due to my preceptor talking up how good I was, and I took the job. Love it down here so far except for all the pain clinics and oxy seekers. No regrets, and I can't wait for my first Florida winter... gonna be quite different from Ohio. Golf in December!

I came back to my home state although originally I had intended to stay where I went to school. Life had other plans for me.

Your state is getting saturated really fast. I guess you can go work for Fred's in Dumas or Gould. Even Pine Bluff seems saturated.

I think I can find a job in a small town at an independent, and still live in a fairly big city, but commute. I actually like driving if the roads are at least decent. Listening to the radio in the morning helps too.

I stayed in my home state for pharmacy school (you can't beat in-state tuition), but I left after graduation. Pretty much since the moment I decided on what I wanted to be when I graduate, I knew I would be moving to the East Coast. There was no pharma industry in my home state, or any state adjacent to my home state, now that I think about it. :D

Went in-state for pharmacy school and stayed there after graduation. I would have left if possible, but due to a family situation I'm tied to the area.

The family situation seems to be one of the biggest factors for people making this decision. If I were single, I'd definitely want to move to another state. Being married, I know I have to have good reason to uproot everyone for a big move. And any move from Texas is a big move.

I'm currently trying to convince the family to move somewhere that has at least three seasons. :smuggrin:

The family situation seems to be one of the biggest factors for people making this decision. If I were single, I'd definitely want to move to another state. Being married, I know I have to have good reason to uproot everyone for a big move. And any move from Texas is a big move.

I'm currently trying to convince the family to move somewhere that has at least three seasons. :smuggrin:

hahahahahhahahahah :lol: stop you're killing me!

DFW has 4 distinct seasons.

Windy spring, scorching summer, awesome autumn, & mild winter.

Yes, our property tax is high. But half goes to education. But no state income tax makes it up for it.

I went to Ohio State and Columbus was very saturated this past spring, with Ohio Northern an hour north, Toledo 2 hours north, Cincy an hour southwest. Tons of new PharmDs in the area.

I had done rotations all over my last year to see where I may like living (was in Vegas a month, Honolulu and West Palm Beach FL). Ended up getting a job offer from the FL DM of CVS due to my preceptor talking up how good I was, and I took the job. Love it down here so far except for all the pain clinics and oxy seekers. No regrets, and I can't wait for my first Florida winter... gonna be quite different from Ohio. Golf in December!

out of curiosity, when did you graduate? i have been in columbus almost my entire life...moved between suburbs but basically been here all grade school, college, and now still here for pharm school haha. i wanna get out of here! definitely somewhere with nice weather.

my plan is to hopefully get some of my rotations 4th year out of state, then maybe i can find a job/residency opportunity through one of those. ideally i'd like to try cali but i know it's competitive, especially for peds hospitals.