Staying up to date with literature in non-academic setting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ctts

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who are in private practice, without a close academic affiliation, how do you keep up to date with the latest pain related literature?

I am solo at the moment, and so it is hard to take time off from practice to go to conferences, plus all the expenses come out of my own pocket. I do not have access to a library at a major academic institution. Pubmed is great for abstracts, but mostly for searching specific topics. I can get the Pain Physician journal from ASIPP. There are other journals out there, but it is somewhat expensive to pay membership dues to all the different societies (AAPM/ISIS, NASS, etc). Pain Medicine News is free and helpful. Just wondering what other out there are doing to keep up.

Members don't see this ad.

Reading pain rounds.....

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Me three! I cant believe I forgot to give credit where credit is due. It is so true. I can find tons of practical information and insightful views after spending just a few minutes on this forum. On the other hand, most journals are filled with pretty useless articles anyway... Ok, well maybe that is a little harsh, but i think you know what i mean. Still, if anyone has any other suggestions out there, would be greatly appreciated.

I get updates from McMaster's Pain plus which has been a little hit or miss. I think it depends on what literature you are interested in. I also have the table of contents RSS feeds for 4 different pain journals that I browse, I try to do it monthly, but am not as consistent as I should be. Here on SDN is where I have found the most practical info.

Docphin and docwise are 2 apps that are worth checking out