step 1...again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ed-the-king

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a 3rd year DO student interested in Anesthesiology. I passed the COMLEX step 1 but failed the USMLE step 1...twice. What's better, just to study and try to do super well on COMLEX step 2 or take the USMLE a third time, or take USMLE step 2 and try to explain my failing score twice? Any (positive) advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

ed-the-king said:
So I'm a 3rd year DO student interested in Anesthesiology. I passed the COMLEX step 1 but failed the USMLE step 1...twice. What's better, just to study and try to do super well on COMLEX step 2 or take the USMLE a third time, or take USMLE step 2 and try to explain my failing score twice? Any (positive) advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I think you are best off just sticking with your COMLEX score. Hopefully your COMLEX score is 550+. I don't think failing the USMLE x2 is going to look good no matter what your score is on the 3rd take.

If you are dead set on becoming an anesthesiologist then you should consider an AOA residency. If you want an allopathic residency, you have a serious uphill struggle before you. Since Step 1 is a done deal for you, you need to work hard to prove yourself in other arenas. Honors on all clinicals? Impressive research and volunteer activities? Something....

Members don't see this ad :)
Iron is on a selection committee, if you read past posts. If you interviewed at that midwest program you'll figure out who s/he is based on the screen name.

Bottom line is... this is a person who makes these decisions currently for a program. Listen to Iron and take the advice to heart, likely you won't get this type of candid feedback after you spend money on ERAS and the match.

Also, inquire with your school's program director.

also make sure to take a look at prospective programs websites. I happened to notice a few this year that listed "must have passed USMLE step one on first try" as a REQUIREMENT to be eligible to apply. that means your app goes in the garbage if there's more than one step one attempt. I had a friend who failed step one once, but had otherwise good application. He applied to a large number of programs, got interviews at 5 marginal programs and did not match.

honestly... the best thing maybe to take step 2 complex and never show any of your usmle....

hopefully you wont be asked any questions... second option is do research for an year and then apply

Research wont be enough to compensate for a 2x failed usmle score unless its something fairly substantial.

don't show the scores and hope they don't ask about the usmle. apply broadly. get some good letters and rotations under your belt.

VentdependenT said:
Research wont be enough to compensate for a 2x failed usmle score unless its something fairly substantial.

don't show the scores and hope they don't ask about the usmle. apply broadly. get some good letters and rotations under your belt.

I am pretty sure that you do not have to release your complex scores and just hope that they do not ask about your USMLE step 1 scores.

cubs3canes said:
I am pretty sure that you do not have to release your complex scores and just hope that they do not ask about your USMLE step 1 scores.

DO YOU THINK ANY PROGRAM ACCEPTS ANYONE WHO REFUSES TO SHOW ANY SCORES? Are you insane? :laugh: :laugh: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :laugh: :laugh:

GOOD ONE... DON'T SHARE ANY SCORES AND REPORT BACK HOW THAT WENT FOR YOU.

BubbleHead said:
DO YOU THINK ANY PROGRAM ACCEPTS ANYONE WHO REFUSES TO SHOW ANY SCORES? Are you insane? :laugh: :laugh: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :laugh: :laugh:

GOOD ONE... DON'T SHARE ANY SCORES AND REPORT BACK HOW THAT WENT FOR YOU.

Sure, I didnt submit my Step 2 scores and got into my top choice. Not that I 'refused' to show them, nobody ever asked, and I took it late. I think the poster is suggesting that the OP just try and get by on his/her comlex step 1, since it is not an absolute requirement that usmle scores or comlex step 2 be submitted if you are a DO. (although some programs can make it a requirement to pass step 2 prior to being ranked). Maybe you should understand the topic before commenting so voraciously on it.

Idiopathic said:
Sure, I didnt submit my Step 2 scores and got into my top choice. Not that I 'refused' to show them, nobody ever asked, and I took it late. I think the poster is suggesting that the OP just try and get by on his/her comlex step 1, since it is not an absolute requirement that usmle scores or comlex step 2 be submitted if you are a DO. (although some programs can make it a requirement to pass step 2 prior to being ranked). Maybe you should understand the topic before commenting so voraciously on it.
You may be partially right. Sure, you can easily slide by w/o showing your Step 2 score. However, I think it would be harder to get by w/o showing your Step 1 score or atleast being asked for it if you are a DO. Often times Step 1 is the only way that schools can 'screen' across the board 'fairly'.

Ok, Ill give you that it may be harder, but if you have a failing Step 1, that certainly doesnt make it any easier for you if you show it. Given the circumstances, the OP should hold it back, attempt to nail COMLEX Step 2, and move on. No, he/she wont get MGH or UCSF, but as a DO, wasnt likely to anyway.

Idiopathic said:
Maybe you should understand the topic before commenting ...

OMG, you are so FUNNY :laugh: :laugh: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Do you remember this one Idiotpathic?

Idiopathic said:
I didnt interview at Rush, so I didnt rank them, but I got an email today that said "we need to receive your USMLE scores at this time" and it was made out specifically to me. Is that weird?

LOL... and then you said I should understand what the topic was before commenting. :laugh: :laugh: Remember that one?? :laugh: :laugh:

You crack me up Vandy. Understand the topic first... :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Bubblehead - Let it go - time to move on.

King Ed - you're chances of matching in anesthesia are very low - just apply, dont submit usmle scores and whatever you do dont lie - or you'll screw up your chances matching in any specialty. Oh yea, make sure you apply to a backup specialty.

aredoubleyou said:
King Ed - you're chances of matching in anesthesia are very low - just apply, dont submit usmle scores and whatever you do dont lie - or you'll screw up your chances matching in any specialty. Oh yea, make sure you apply to a backup specialty.

You should do a couple of aways ( as many as you can) at places where you have a good chance of getting in. You will be someone they know rather than a 15 min interview. Go somewhere and shine adn that will at least improve your odds.

Check which places have problems filling (not all places that don't fill are bad) and look for places without "the name".

Good luck to ya. :)

C9

OK, I don't know much about DO's licensure and exams and the like but I am wondering. If you just take the COMLEX and do an anesthesia residency, are you elligable(?) for the ABA boards? Because this is what you are ultimately striving for. Can you do an allopathic residency without USMLE scores? Just trying to clear this up in my head.

If you can't do an allopathic residency without the USMLE then take it. If you don't pass then do a osteopathic residency in anesthesia. You will be able to work. You just won't have as many opportunities. If this isn't what you want to hear then you should think about another specialty. Good Luck. Pass step III is my recommendation.

Noyac said:
OK, I don't know much about DO's licensure and exams and the like but I am wondering. If you just take the COMLEX and do an anesthesia residency, are you elligable(?) for the ABA boards? Because this is what you are ultimately striving for. Can you do an allopathic residency without USMLE scores? Just trying to clear this up in my head.

I know an osteopathic student can obtain an allopathic residency without taking the USMLE exams, however being eligible for the ABA boards that is another question?

Does anyone else have trouble spelling common english words since attending medical school. For example in this post.... eligible, spelled above as elligable, and before I looked it up in the dictionary I wrote elligible. Anyways just something weird I have noticed with myself and wondering if the realm of science and medicine has had this affect on anyone else.

brisk80 said:
I know an osteopathic student can obtain an allopathic residency without taking the USMLE exams, however being eligible for the ABA boards that is another question?

Does anyone else have trouble spelling common english words since attending medical school. For example in this post.... eligible, spelled above as elligable, and before I looked it up in the dictionary I wrote elligible. Anyways just something weird I have noticed with myself and wondering if the realm of science and medicine has had this affect on anyone else.
U shood b ashamd at yurself for letin medikal skool take away frum you're speling an grammur. Pursunally I doun't no wut u r talking obout.

Idiopathic said:

thanks for the back up idio. My thoughts exactly.

Noyac said:

If you can't do an allopathic residency without the USMLE then take it. If you don't pass then do a osteopathic residency in anesthesia. You will be able to work. You just won't have as many opportunities. If this isn't what you want to hear then you should think about another specialty. Good Luck. Pass step III is my recommendation.

According to the website aba website, any member that has passed all three steps of COMLEX or USMLE and completed a residency can apply to take the board examination. It does not comment on the residency being allopathic or osteopathic.

I do not think you are trying to hide anything if you just do not release your USMLE scores. I have a friend that failed step 1 USMLE, did well on COMLEX step 1, and match at his first choice, but it was an Osteopathic residency in ER.

With that being said, if someone asks, tell them honestly that you failed step 1 USMLE. Also, apply to the Osteopathic AOA residencies. These will be your best shot. Good luck.

cubs3canes said:
thanks for the back up idio. My thoughts exactly.

Idio failed to mention his Step I score was a 99 or some such nonsense. So, don't think he never submitted any Complex, nor USMLE scores and fell into a spot at Vandy.

Anyone thinking that they don't need to take Step I better check with the program, this varies and no doubt the PD will ask you if you took it, if you passed, if you're going to release the score. If you think as one person suggested that you don't need to submit Complex or USMLE scores and you'll stroll into a competitive program, think again.

You don't have to submit your USMLE scores/times tried as an osteopath. The delimma then is that do you lie when asked if you took the USMLE? I would have to say don't lie. But can you get away with it? I don't know.

Will someone ask? Probably.

brisk80 said:

I'm pretty sure that it's the type of residency you do (allo v osteo) that determines what boards you can sit for. So while a DO who never took USMLE but is attending an allopathic residency is eligible for the ABA, one who took USMLE x3 and attended an AOA residency is not.