Step 1 and 2 Scores Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My step 2 was a 248 and my Step 1 was a 218. My Step 1 test morning was a disaster. When I arrived at the prometric test center check in was difficult and did and not want to accept my confirmation. They insisted I have a better copy, and refused to let me print a new copy at the test center. I had to scramble find a place to print a new copy and was delayed in starting the test by a half hour. Needless to say I was totally stressed out and rattled. I believe it affected my performance on Step 1. My question is when I am asked what my scores are should I explain what happened or does come across that I am making excuses.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you could explain that you just had a bad test day and not go into too great detail. I wouldn't mention being flustered, etc. bc then the likely next question will be what will you do on the day of Derm boards when you have even more information to master.

My step 2 was a 248 and my Step 1 was a 218. My Step 1 test morning was a disaster. When I arrived at the prometric test center check in was difficult and did and not want to accept my confirmation. They insisted I have a better copy, and refused to let me print a new copy at the test center. I had to scramble find a place to print a new copy and was delayed in starting the test by a half hour. Needless to say I was totally stressed out and rattled. I believe it affected my performance on Step 1. My question is when I am asked what my scores are should I explain what happened or does come across that I am making excuses.

I agree with Dermviser. Just mention you had a bad testing day and leave it at that.

Unfortunately, most places simply use Step 1 as a filter and you may be eliminated from the applicant pool before you get to the interview stage. If you are able to slip by, it's clear that the program is OK with your overall application package despite the Step 1 score. I'd make sure you have a good succinct answer and avoid giving your Step 1 score too much attention during the interview if possible

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with Dermviser. Just mention you had a bad testing day and leave it at that.

Unfortunately, most places simply use Step 1 as a filter and you may be eliminated from the applicant pool before you get to the interview stage. If you are able to slip by, it's clear that the program is OK with your overall application package despite the Step 1 score. I'd make sure you have a good succinct answer and avoid giving your Step 1 score too much attention during the interview if possible
Exactly - many places have a filter - some even put the cutoff on their website for Step 1, so OP won't even be seen at those programs. A 248 on Step 2 isn't as impressive bc the average on Step 2 is higher and most people do much better on Step 2 vs. Step 1 to begin with.