Step 1 residency options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BCL3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Just got my score today it was a 213. It was completely unexpected (average of 73% uworld last two weeks) my year 1 and 2 grades are not great but year 2 was better and avg for the most part. I'm from Michigan and I would love to go to Denver but I'm not sure that's an option at this point. I was wondering what residency programs I can still consider for EM and outside of good step 2/ m3 grades what I can do to help me get into a good program.
For the grades in first two years:
I have ADHD for which I hate taking medications and only took as necessary. I hate admitting on apps or in general to having a learning disability and would rather just work harder to get the results so I don't want to put that in my app as an excuse.
I did the work for step 1 and focused on that during year 2 and honestly believe the score was due to a bad tesr day vs what I know.

Sorry for the long post but any advice and info is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ps: I read the other thread but I didn't make the 220 cut off and need to know realistically which programs are out.
Thanks

Ps: I read the other thread but I didn't make the 220 cut off and need to know realistically which programs are out.
Thanks

Like I said in the other thread, I matched EM with Step 1 of 210s and likely mediocre stats otherwise. My guess is that Denver does filter for Step 1 scores >220 at least, if for no other reason than they're real academic and get so many applicants, but you will never learn whether they do or not.

I wouldn't worry about specific programs at this point. Of course there are some relatively minor differences in how you are trained, but all the accredited programs are mandated to teach the same core content about EM and will potentially make you a great EP... at residency level it depends more on what you put into it than on your institution. There's nothing to stop you from applying to all ~180 EM programs if you really want to match. Just focus on improving Step 2 and rocking your MS3 rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some places screen step and some don't. Apply broadly. Kick ass on your aways. Good luck - you'll find a home.

Work hard during your clinical years and apply broadly. There are people with lower scores than yours who are doing EM. While you may not be able to match at the more competitive places, you should still have a chance for matching into the specialty.

Hey all! Just got my score today it was a 213. It was completely unexpected (average of 73% uworld last two weeks) my year 1 and 2 grades are not great but year 2 was better and avg for the most part. I'm from Michigan and I would love to go to Denver but I'm not sure that's an option at this point. I was wondering what residency programs I can still consider for EM and outside of good step 2/ m3 grades what I can do to help me get into a good program.
For the grades in first two years:
I have ADHD for which I hate taking medications and only took as necessary. I hate admitting on apps or in general to having a learning disability and would rather just work harder to get the results so I don't want to put that in my app as an excuse.
I did the work for step 1 and focused on that during year 2 and honestly believe the score was due to a bad tesr day vs what I know.

Sorry for the long post but any advice and info is appreciated.

I got into residency with a 212 on step one and a 227 on step 2. Both below average, but it didn't really seem to matter much as far as getting interviews went. The best advice I can give you is to apply to a lot of places, and apply broadly in many different areas of the country.

I totally get what you are saying about your ADHD... I have struggled with school work pretty much my whole life. I have a highlighter color for everything, tabs in a billion colors to organize my books, calendars for my calendars... In the past, I have made every effort to overcompensate for being unable to just sit down and read a chapter in a book and actually retain it. I work much harder than my classmates when it comes to the time I put in studying. What takes someone 1 hour to do, will take me 5 hours because I can't focus on a task the same way as most people. I was diagnosed with ADD a few years ago, and I can't believe that I made it this far without addressing it. I never put it into my residency application or anything, and I don't usually discuss it with people (mostly just because of the stigma of it). Even after addressing it, I don't blow exams out of the water, usually I get at or below the average on anything. But at least I can sit down and learn in a way that will benefit my life and career. It makes my life so much less frustrating...

Reactions: 1 user