Step 1 score to be competitive as a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donkeykong1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Third yr here, I was just wondering what score is needed on step 1 as a DO to match anesthesia these days at a decent university program?. Also how many places should we rank?

Members don't see this ad.

I read this as "What is the bare minimum I have to do to match at a good university program?" Not to bust your chops but Step 1 is your golden ticket to an interview date at a lot of good programs (not all of them, because of your pedigree...but most of them) and if your aim is to achieve an arbitrary minimum, good luck (you'll need it as many are in that mindset). If you have done well in medical school, there is nothing stopping you from scoring a 250+ on that exam. The resources are out there and you have the ability--the only thing stopping you from doing it...is you. Go get it.

Members don't see this ad :)
i already got my score btw..its over 230. just wondering how much bias there is still against DO

Not a lot but some. Apply broadly to give yourself options. There are plenty of solid programs that will gladly take excellent DO candidates. Don't shy away from applying to programs because you don't see any DOs on their rosters. Call the residency coordinator at programs that you are most interested in if you don't receive an invite...I can personally attest that often it's not the degree that is the limitation, just the sheer volume of applications to sift through. Sometimes it just takes a call to get the PD/application review committee to offer you an interview.

My apologies for reading into your post.

Anesthesiology is not competitive. You'll match somewhere with a 230+ even if you come from a DO school.

I read this as "What is the bare minimum I have to do to match at a good university program?" Not to bust your chops but Step 1 is your golden ticket to an interview date at a lot of good programs (not all of them, because of your pedigree...but most of them) and if your aim is to achieve an arbitrary minimum, good luck (you'll need it as many are in that mindset). If you have done well in medical school, there is nothing stopping you from scoring a 250+ on that exam. The resources are out there and you have the ability--the only thing stopping you from doing it...is you. Go get it.

no worries. thanks for the advice. my official anesthesiology rotation for 3rd yr isnt until next june so im trying to get myself to be as useful as I can during those shifts.