Step 1 Scores and % Right

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolsoon

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find a rough estimate for 3-digit step 1 scores and a % correct conversion?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The only answers would be wild speculation, no one really has any idea. My personal opinion that the % correct to get a certain score is probably lower than you'd expect.

The only answers would be wild speculation, no one really has any idea. My personal opinion that the % correct to get a certain score is probably lower than you'd expect.

Do you think it is different from the NBME-score chart that is floating around on here? That chart puts a 250 at 90% correct.

I think that chart is pretty close for the NBME exams because I took a few and figured out which ones I got wrong and the percentage score pretty much matched my score from NBME exactly.

Members don't see this ad :)
so wait, CGscribe, do you agree that chart is prolly what they use on the real USMLE?

I really think %correct alone is not perhaps as important as is %correct relative to other testers. My guess is that each question in the bank has a %correct and at the end of the block it calculates an average. It then compares your score to the avg and repeats the process for all the blocks. Through a lot of statistical play, I bet they find the mean/avg for your test= national 3-digit score (~220). And then they take ur average and see where you would fall on the bell curve.

This just a thought, but i don't think it's a set in stone that X%correct=xyz since no one prolly gets the same test. Not to mention they may even factor difficulty of experimental questions since students may potentially waste more time on them. I think it fundamentally beyond our understanding really, haha.

At the beginning of First Aid it says to pass you have to answer 60-70% of the questions correctly.

so 60-70% = 185

above that we can only guess.