STEP 1 scores (compilation...please help)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TRUE

slacker extraordinaire
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As has been posted so many times, the USLME STEP 1 scores are not given out, but rather individual schools give them out if they feel like it (usually at interviews). If you remember what the STEP 1 scores were for the particular school you interviewed at, post it on here and we can start making a compilation. Only post if you're absolutely certain of the score...no "I think it was...".

Unless otherwise noted, these are last year's scores:

National Average 216 (SD =23) *2002

Baylor: 235
Case Western: 225
Columbia University: 228, 231, 229 (2003, 2002, 2001)
Indiana University: 222
Mayo Medical School: 236, 234, 230 (2003, 2002, 2001)
Mount Sinai: 228
Northwestern: 233, 230 (2003, 2002)
University of Iowa: 223 (2002)
University of Florida: 227
University of Pennsylvania: 236, 235 (2003,2002)
University of Pittsburg: 227
University of Southern California: 220
University of Virginia: 227 (SD = 21)
UTMB: 223
UTSW: 226, 228 (2003, 2002)
Wash U: 229 (2001)

Members don't see this ad.

As has been posted so many times, the USLME STEP 1 scores are not given out, but rather individual schools give them out if they feel like it (usually at interviews). If you remember what the STEP 1 scores were for the particular school you interviewed at, post it on here and we can start making a compilation. Only post if you're absolutely certain of the score...no "I think it was...".

Northwestern: 230 *2002
University of Florida 227

University of Virginia 227 (SD = 21) *2002

Members don't see this ad :)

University of Virginia 227 (SD = 21) *2002

University of Virginia 227 (SD = 21)

I have my score reports for all three steps in front of me. They all say that the score and SD are for FIRST time test takers from U.S. and CANADIAN medical schools. The mean posted doesn't include FMG's or repeat exams.

updating: northwestern's M2 class is organizing a step 1 review committee this year, and i talked to the dean and found out the 2003 step I score. it's 233*.

*Northwestern: 233 (2003)
University of Pennsylvania: 235

Not to split hairs, but I'm pretty sure Penn's average last year was 236. 235 was the year before. Okay...I am splitting hairs.

I have noticed a positive bias in the reporting of Board scores, perhaps because only schools that do well overall decide to inform people of their scores?

Unless you are going to a competitive residency, all pass the exam and most pass in the 220's (at least in my school), so I am not so stressed out, I think this is not the purpose of step I scores. But since this is a gunner thread, carry on...:D

I agree that most schools will prepare you well enough for success on the STEP's. However, there are some of us that would like to get successful residencies and for that, you need to do pretty darn well from what I understand. Plus, since people use so many random facts to make their decisions about medical schools, why not try to add in a helpful one :)

Gleevac: I totally agree with you. A school isn't giving out it's STEP scores unless it did well (above average). I interviewed at 4 schools and we were told the scores at 2 and not at the other 2. MSSM and Florida incidentally both had great scores...the other two were Drexel and AECOM. Not saying that either of these has sub-par scores, but it could be...

Agreed... it is difficult to say though whether people at a certain school get high scores because the school is so good, or because the people at it just happen to be top students... in any case, I would like to know the averages for Yale and U Pitt.... ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Updating with info on Pitt from The Pitt Med Survival Guide 2003 that they gave us at the interview- "Pitt students have done very well on the exam, earning scores that are, on average, nearly half of a standard deviation above the national mean" (abt ~ 227)

Northwestern: 233 (2003)
University of Pittsburgh:~227

This may be a stupid question, but after all this is pre-allo and i'm not in medical school yet so:

What's passing for a Step 1? What is the maximum? Minimum (if not zero)?

I am not sure what the max is. The national average is about a 215-220 (depends on the year) and I think I read somewhere that passing was generally around 180. If you want top residencies though, you need to do much better than that though.

Originally posted by kingcer0x
This may be a stupid question, but after all this is pre-allo and i'm not in medical school yet so:

What's passing for a Step 1? What is the maximum? Minimum (if not zero)?

Pass score has generally been 182.

Maximum is I think 300 although that is near, if not entirely possible. The max recorded i think is in the 280 range and the realistic max you will see in a given year is around 260.

Originally posted by dr.lilee
Updating with info on Pitt from The Pitt Med Survival Guide 2003 that they gave us at the interview- "Pitt students have done very well on the exam, earning scores that are, on average, nearly half of a standard deviation above the national mean" (abt ~ 227)

In Miami's viewbook, they say that thir USMLE scores have beaten the national average consistently in recent years. I think this is impressive, since at the time they printed the viewbook, their average MCAT was 28, which is below the national average. In some ways, I think this more impressive that NU or Penn's 230's averages.

Any thoughts?

Originally posted by hypersting
Pass score has generally been 182.

Maximum is I think 300 although that is near, if not entirely possible. The max recorded i think is in the 280 range and the realistic max you will see in a given year is around 260.

The Dean at UB said someone scored a 272 last year, a record for the school, but he couldn't confirm if that was the highest score of the year.

What about NYU's step 1?

Anyone got that?

Originally posted by ewing
In Miami's viewbook, they say that thir USMLE scores have beaten the national average consistently in recent years. I think this is impressive, since at the time they printed the viewbook, their average MCAT was 28, which is below the national average. In some ways, I think this more impressive that NU or Penn's 230's averages.

Any thoughts?

I could've swore the national average MCAT score was 24, not 28. Although yeah, it does go to show that no matter what tier medical school one goes to, one will determine how high a boards score one receives more than the school will..

I for one think that selecting schools based on their supposed preparation for the Boards is a bit pointless considering the fact that any U.S. medical school should adequately prepare you

Reactions: 1 user
I think he was likely referring to the average of 30/31 for matriculants into medical school (not the actual 24 average for all those who take the MCAT).

I would agree that basing one's decision on a school's scores is a little rash, but I think it's an important factor in the overall scheme of things. There are some schools that have poor board scores for whatever reason and I think students should be entitled to this information before they attend the school.

Originally posted by facted
I think he was likely referring to the average of 30/31 for matriculants into medical school (not the actual 24 average for all those who take the MCAT).

I would agree that basing one's decision on a school's scores is a little rash, but I think it's an important factor in the overall scheme of things. There are some schools that have poor board scores for whatever reason and I think students should be entitled to this information before they attend the school.

Re: scores... that makes sense then

Yeah, I agree that schools should definitely give out their averages during the interview day. I know UVa and Northwestern did, as for other schools I can't remember

Indiana: 222

i remember that ucsd's were really high, i should be able to find the ave somewhere...

Holy cow, those are high averages... and we were so proud of our scores... UTMB 223.

anybody have emory's step 1 average?

Originally posted by Mr Reddly
Sorry to not stick with the thread, but National Average or World wide average, including Allopathic total, Osteopathic total and FMG total?

If so, what is the National Average for US Senior (non repeat) Allopathic? Anyone know?

It should be higher based on stats for repeat takers, and pass rates for FMGs listed in First Aid for the USMLE 1.

Ie, shouldn't ALL medschools in the states be ABOVE the average? ( I mean given that only ~1/2 the 14,000 FMG total even pass, and ~90% of the 16,000 first-time takers in the US pass, the data must be scewed. Right?)

The 216 avg is for all first time US MD, DO and canadian medical student test takers (FMG's from countries other then Canada are not included in the avg). I think that a lot of schools (my own included) do not release their USMLE avg's when their avg is below the national avg. That's why the results you are seeing posted here are somewhat skewed. ~95% of US MD students pass their first time, and 80% of DO students pass their first time. Passing is ~180. Repeat MD student test takers have an overall pass rate of 54%, repeat DO students have a pass rate of 19% (small sample size in 2001 though). Canadian med students have a first time pass rate of 91%, while FMG's have a first time pass rate of 53%.

what are the avg step 1 for usc and ucla?

what do you need for a good primary care (family practice, ob/gyn, peds, or internal med lets say)? emergency medicine? and how bout the competitive ones like derm, anesth, surgery, ortho, etc?

thanks.

Originally posted by Kalel
The 216 avg is for all first time US MD, DO and canadian medical student test takers (FMG's from countries other then Canada are not included in the avg). I think that a lot of schools (my own included) do not release their USMLE avg's when their avg is below the national avg. That's why the results you are seeing posted here are somewhat skewed. ~95% of US MD students pass their first time, and 80% of DO students pass their first time. Passing is ~180. Repeat MD student test takers have an overall pass rate of 54%, repeat DO students have a pass rate of 19% (small sample size in 2001 though). Canadian med students have a first time pass rate of 91%, while FMG's have a first time pass rate of 53%.

The data above are off a bit...the data from the USMLE (link) for 2002 are as follows:

Passing 3-digit score: 182

U.S. MD's total: 88%
First timers: 92%
Repeaters: 59%

U.S. DO's total: 67%
First timers: 70%
Repeaters: 32%

Non U.S./Canadian MD first timers: 64%
Repeaters: 36%

Originally posted by mpp
The data above are off a bit...the data from the USMLE (link) for 2002 are as follows:

Passing 3-digit score: 182

U.S. MD's total: 88%
First timers: 92%
Repeaters: 59%

U.S. DO's total: 67%
First timers: 70%
Repeaters: 32%

Non U.S./Canadian MD first timers: 64%
Repeaters: 36%

ouch! does this mean that one out of three offshore students fail the USMLE? I thought many of those schools claimed to have pass rates similar to those of US medical schools.

It really is quite phenomenal that EVERY FREAKING SCHOOL is above the national average. It's fun the way you can lie with numbers.

As has been posted above, the schools that are on here are the ones that have given out their #'s. If a school is below the national average, I highly doubt they're bragging about that during people's interview visits. Hence, the highly skewed scores on here.

How bad is it to fail Step 1? Anyone know?

It's not going to look good, that's for sure, seeing as less than 15% of U.S. grads fail. At some schools you must pass with 3 attempts or less or you will not receive your degree...makes it difficult to pay back those loans I'm sure.

U of Iowa 223 (2002) - 1st time takers; 99% pass rate

WOW. I JUST NOTICED THAT THOSE AVGS ARE SO HIGH. THAT MEANS THAT LOTS OF STUDENTS ARE QUALIFIED FOR COMPETITIVE RESIDENCIES.

THATS SCARY. THOSE NUMBERS ARE ALMOST HARD TO BELIEVE...

If you check your folder from the interview, the USMLE step one scores may be in there. Otherwise, Lisa presents them.

longlakeboy said:
It really is quite phenomenal that EVERY FREAKING SCHOOL is above the national average. It's fun the way you can lie with numbers.

I dont think those schools are lying about their scores. All the schools listed are ranked in the top 50, so they have students that generally perform above average on standardized exams.

Lochmoor said:
I dont think those schools are lying about their scores. All the schools listed are ranked in the top 50, so they have students that generally perform above average on standardized exams.

Indeed. Unfortunately that's the way it works because if you're under the national average you're probably not going to divulge your scores. Someone who goes to a Drexel interview for instance should ask what their scores are. I'm not saying they'd be bad, but i'm just interested to know. We need scores from a wider spectrum...

Just a little caveat about Step I scores: These scores may reflect the quality of a student that a school can attract, not necessarily the quality of the education.

BassDominator said:
Just a little caveat about Step I scores: These scores tend to reflect the quality of a student that a school can attract, not necessarily the quality of the education.

That's only partially true. I can think of plenty of examples both ways.

So what schools usually score the highest on the board exams? I thought I remember seeing somewhere the top 3 schools for board exams

Bump
Please add any new info.

a stu affairs director once told me...

"you match yourself...the institution doesnt match you." meaning its your step 1, grades, lors, connections, etc and not what school you go to.

i agree with her. what do you guys think?

docmemi said:
a stu affairs director once told me...

"you match yourself...the institution doesnt match you." meaning its your step 1, grades, lors, connections, etc and not what school you go to.

i agree with her. what do you guys think?

Definately true. I think the only exceptions would be the top few schools like Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Wash U but even then, you still need good board scores and clinical grades.

A person from Drexel Med had the second highest board score last year (2003). I don't remember what the number was though.

Does anyone know the average scores for top ranked schools like harvard, jhu, Yale?

youngin said:
So what schools usually score the highest on the board exams? I thought I remember seeing somewhere the top 3 schools for board exams

I read somewhere that it's a tie between Yale, Vandy, UCSF, and one other school. Dunno what the score is but it's gotta be higher than Mayo's (236).