STEP 1 scores (compilation...please help)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
from the letter to students this year at VCU,
Average score = 229.6 (last year’s average was 229.5)
First Time Pass Rate = 98%

Members don't see this ad.

from the letter to students this year at VCU,

Average score = 229.6 (last year’s average was 229.5)
First Time Pass Rate = 98%

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to Mizzou, and the class of 2014 had a 100% pass rate with an average of 239 on Step 1. God's honest truth.
hah... feels like they're hoping people would make that mistake. also in that flyer what do step 2 CK scores have to do with PBL in the preclinical years? Some pretty deceptive marketing here that's trying to take advantage of the limited knowledge pre-meds have about the intricacies of med school.

i suggest you delete the 2012 number too.... likely that is also not a step 2 CK average since the national average is in the 230s. For step 1 a 239 average is pretty absurd for a school like this

Also, #$%^ you, "...a school like this." Just because we aren't in New York or Bahston doesn't mean we are a bunch of idiots.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I go to Mizzou, and the class of 2016 had a 100% pass rate with an average of 239 on Step 1. God's honest truth.

Also, #$%^ you, "...a school like this." Just because we aren't in New York or Bahston doesn't mean we are a bunch of idiots.

I find it hard to believe that anyone has an average of 239.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't see how that match list lends any credence to the claim. But I do believe that is what your administration tells you. The same figures are reported to USNWR.

Yes and those figures are probably massaged as well (not including the scores of those who failed in the average, etc.)

Last edited:
The University of Toledo hasn't had an average step 1 score of 217 since 2008 or prior. I am a third year student there and based on our informational meeting from last year (which admittedly is line graph of scores so I might not be exact here by a point or 2), recent mean scores were around 227, 227, and 230 (this seems exact) in 2011, 2012, and 2013 respectively.

Board focus and preparation was actually one of the reasons I chose to attend Toledo. I was happy with my score in the end, but one piece of advice I would give to students reading this forum - a LOT (as in most) of Step 1 success will be based upon what you do as an individual. Many students from every type of school use similar study materials. Nothing can compensate for hard work and an intelligent approach. Every year, some of the highest scorers on SDN are from foreign and osteopathic medical schools. Like I said, I focused a lot on Step 1 preparation when I applied and am still happy with my decision to attend Toledo (most days haha), but there are many other more important factors I would consider in choosing a medical school to attend. The NBME doesn't give you bonus points based on what school you attend and people crush it from schools of every perceived reputation.