Step 1 Screening Cutoff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IgM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good sense for what the current screening cutoff is in Uro? I know it varies per program, but a few years ago people were able to ballpark it around 220 (in 2009 I think), so I was wondering if anyone could ballpark it now?

Members don't see this ad.

I talked to my home program coordinator yesterday. Most places have the cut off at 240 according to her.

Members don't see this ad :)
240!? Omg..things are getting so ridiculous

240 is a weak score, I wouldn't even consider an osteo unless 250+ step 1.

I don't know about this... I think you guys might be exaggerating... I recently discussed this with some uro faculty at my school (top 25 med school) and they implied that 225 is absolute minimum, but if you really crush Step 2 even that could make up for it. A student I just spoke with who was offered 18 interviews for some of the top programs had around a 230, but a much higher Step 2. So although I don't know of a specific number that is the cutoff, I think there is a little more wiggle room than 240. Unless the other posters have direct information, I wouldn't necessarily take it to heart.

Reactions: 1 user
Our middle-of-the-road program used 230 as a cutoff this year. The majority of our candidates interviewed were >245. It's competitive as hell. Can you match with a 220? Sure. You better have something pretty incredible that makes you stand out though -- ie. impressive publications, amazing letters, phone calls from leaders in the field, AOA/great grades, and preferably multiple of the previously mentioned. Even then, it's an uphill battle. Program directors generally don't have time to read through the 250-300 applications for 1-3 spots. They have to start filtering, and usually it's board scores first.

Reactions: 1 user
Our middle-of-the-road program used 230 as a cutoff this year. The majority of our candidates interviewed were >245. It's competitive as hell. Can you match with a 220? Sure. You better have something pretty incredible that makes you stand out though -- ie. impressive publications, amazing letters, phone calls from leaders in the field, AOA/great grades, and preferably multiple of the previously mentioned. Even then, it's an uphill battle. Program directors generally don't have time to read through the 250-300 applications for 1-3 spots. They have to start filtering, and usually it's board scores first.
So 240 is still the magic number to hopefully match middle of the road programs?

Do you know how competitive a peds urology fellowship is? (Eg can you apply and match from most schools or is it so competitive you need to try and match at a place with a fellowship at that hospital)

So 240 is still the magic number to hopefully match middle of the road programs?

Do you know how competitive a peds urology fellowship is? (Eg can you apply and match from most schools or is it so competitive you need to try and match at a place with a fellowship at that hospital)

Not that competitive. You will be able to get into peds (or any other fellowship) from most programs. It just matters how hard you work (on research) while you are there. If you want peds I would try to go somewhere where they have a good volume of peds and you will have a chance to do peds research.