Step 2 Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cautiouslyoptimistic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen a couple of threads about Step 2 and urology, but they seem to be quite old. Sorry for the repost if I missed a newer thread!

I was hoping to get some advice with regards to scheduling Step 2. I am planning on doing my home rotation in July followed by two aways in August and September. I currently would have two weeks to study for Step 2 after my 3rd year rotations finish in June, or a month after my rotation in September. Ideally, I would like to have more than 2 weeks to study for Step 2. After my rotations, I would have more time to study.

I am getting conflicting advice about scheduling Step 2 based on my schedule and prudent planning. A few of my upperlevel residents have mentioned that there is more risk to taking Step 2 early than to taking it later. They say that a good score won't significantly help an application with Step 1 > 240, but a bad score can sink an application. On the other hand, some recent successful applicants felt that taking Step 2 was important for them even with a respectable Step 1 score (they didn't reveal their actual scores). Faculty in my program are split as well, with one outright saying it is waste of time and the program director saying that he would like to see it (but he can see scenarios where people don't take it).

My question is, how important is taking Step 2 before the application submission date (Sept?)? Have things changed drastically in the last few years with regards to requirements for Step 2?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Bump. Would also like to know this. In a very similar position myself

I did not match uro, but matched a competitive specialty myself. Here are my thoughts - hopefully they can give you a different perspective.

The main benefit of Step 2 is to "make up" for a poor Step 1. If your Step 1 is below average for the specialty, a large percentile gain (around 20pt increase) can boost your application. As to how much, it varies. Mine was never commented on. Having this score in before mid september means it will be included automatically. Having it in early will help you get coveted interviews. Having it in later may (or may not) help with ranking tie-breakers - this varies by program. Again, if you do "bomb" it, you'll have to show it. Doing poorly would be doing significantly less than your Step 1. Nobody will look upon a 250+ Step 2 poorly, no matter your Step 1, imo. If your score comes in after the mid-Sept ERAS submission, you have the option to transmit it.

Additional thoughts: you don't need much more than two weeks to own Step 2. Go through uworld efficiently and you'll be good to go, assuming you did well on your shelves. Also, taking it earlier is preferable, as your motivation will sharply decrease the further you get from MS3, and your clinical knowledge will begin to atrophy. I took mine later and regretted having to grind through Uworld in Oct. Also, doing your ERAS app is time-consuming - definitely a big pain during Step 2 studying. Having a strong Step 2 in early will only help you, no matter your Step score. The app looks more complete, and it's one less thing the program has to worry about. Again, not essential though.

If I were you, I would grind during my last rotation if it's an easy one, get some Step 2 studying in, and then take the two dedicated weeks and knock it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
No one cared about step 2 when I applied. It was all about step 1. If you did well on step 1 I don't think it will matter that much if at all unless you end up bombing it. Even if you end up around your step 1 score or a little lower no one is really going to care assuming all your other ducks are in a row.

I took it after my second uro rotation 4th year and only had 2 weeks to study as well. I ended up doing well on it despite not pulling 12+ hour days studying. I probably studied 4-5 hours a day and did fun MS4 type stuff like drinking, kayaking, sitting by the pool, etc that I would give anything to do now. Just make sure you get through all of uworld. It's graded differently than step 1 because the majority of students don't take it as seriously as they do step 1. This will probably change in the future.

No one cared about step 2 when I applied. It was all about step 1. If you did well on step 1 I don't think it will matter that much if at all unless you end up bombing it. Even if you end up around your step 1 score or a little lower no one is really going to care assuming all your other ducks are in a row.

I took it after my second uro rotation 4th year and only had 2 weeks to study as well. I ended up doing well on it despite not pulling 12+ hour days studying. I probably studied 4-5 hours a day and did fun MS4 type stuff like drinking, kayaking, sitting by the pool, etc that I would give anything to do now. Just make sure you get through all of uworld. It's graded differently than step 1 because the majority of students don't take it as seriously as they do step 1. This will probably change in the future.

How long ago was it that you were applying?

When I interviewed (2012) only 1 place cared about your Step 2 score - GHSU. I don't think it was required, but they asked about it in the interview and wanted the result as soon as it came out.