step 2 ck advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UW med student

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering how long I should set aside to study for step 2 ck? I did try to read several similar threads before posting but they mostly were for international students or students with a good/above average step 1 score.

I'm a US allopathic student and my step 1 score sucked, and was 21 points lower than my practice tests and uworld questions predicted. I studied for 4 1/2 weeks. I need to do as well on step 2 ck as I can. My school grades on an A, AB, B, BC, C, F scale and I've gotten ABs in all my clerkships so far except a B in peds. My shelf exams have been low 80s %ile except for mid 70s for IM. I have solid pre-clinical grades with a even mix of As, ABs, and Bs. Keeping in mind that my step 1 score was so much lower than predicted I don't trust the 75% average I've been getting on uworld questions but there you have it. I have 2 weeks free between 3rd and 4th year to take it or I can wait until October when I can take that whole month off to study, however this will likely be too late for applications/getting more interview invites. Any advice would be much appreciated, especially from students who also had low step 1 scores and successfully improved on step 2. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.