Step 2 CK after matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

long

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I matched today and haven't taken CK yet. Since I've already matched, I'm tempted to just take it to pass and not worry about it at all. If I get a crappy score, will that have any impact on fellowships in the future?

Members don't see this ad.

Fellowships will rarely (if ever) ask for step 2 scores. Unless you score REALLY poorly or fail it, won't have much of an impact in my opinion. Congrats.

All fellowships ask for Step 2 scores. It's on the front page of the application. It matters for the more competitive fellowships like retina, plastics, and cornea. I would take it seriously. If u bomb it, it looks bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else have any thoughts on this, does a big drop from step 1 to step 2 make ophtho fellowship an uphill battle. I had heard from a lot of folks that if you take step 2 late you don't need to score very well but never really thought about what fellowships would think.

How can you guys even worry about step 2 at this time?! You guys just found out you get to be eye surgeons!!! Have you lost your mind?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you OPP for putting it into perspective for these clowns. A year after the match and I'm still humbled by my results...

Also, to answer the question that I feel people have answered a few times:

Don't bomb step 2. Do above the national average and I doubt anyone will notice. It's on the front page for fellowship so people look at it. Obviously if they see you had to take it twice that will look weird.

Last edited:
seriously...there are so many other important things on the app that I don't even think it gets any serious consideration (unless you totally bombed it). OKAP scores may be requested by a few programs and that may be more important in some places.