step 2 ck not so hot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Conjuctiva

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay, so I got just a few points below average but sitll above 225 (avg 233). my step I is 245. i'm applying this year.

should i wait before i release my CK? i'm so embarrassed! Will i get any interviews with that ck??

Members don't see this ad.

okay, so I got just a few points below average but sitll above 225 (avg 233). my step I is 245. i'm applying this year.

should i wait before i release my CK? i'm so embarrassed! Will i get any interviews with that ck??

...i think you should give up on medicine all together. You won't even be able to get into the worst FM, IM, or Surgery program in the country with that =p

Members don't see this ad :)
brutual.. the comments you are getting regarding this.

I'll offer the first helpful response.

Yes, you will get interview offers even if you release your step 2 CK score.

I would not release it, unless the program asks about it. No need to release a score in which you did worse than your step 1 score. 225 is still respectable, although not a 245.

good luck and no need to freak out.

I went ahead and released it - some progs wouldnt look at apps until its "complete" with all the scores, so i figure that i'll roll the dice and take my chances. besides, i dont want to NOT get interviews because i held back.

I went ahead and released it - some progs wouldnt look at apps until its "complete" with all the scores, so i figure that i'll roll the dice and take my chances. besides, i dont want to NOT get interviews because i held back.

You did the right thing by releasing it...

Had you not, anyone that looks at your file would have assumed you did 'terrible'... failed, or maybe <200.

Its not like your Step 2 score is all that bad. I think that score will have little impact in you career...

Good luck.

I'll post in this thread rather than make a new one.

Question: On the USMLE transcript page in ERAS I answered "Yes" to the first question, and "No" to the second (about automatic retransmission). I took CK mid september. What do programs see? Can they see that I've taken the exam but the score isn't back? Or do they just see that the score isn't back? Now that I got my score (today), can programs see that my report is ready but I haven't released it yet? Cause that would look bad..

I ended up doing a few points worse on Step 2 than Step 1, but both are in the 240s. I'm debating whether to retransmit before Dean's letters go out. Pros of retransmitting: complete application, 240+ is fine and i'm happy with it etc.. Cons: I went down a few points.. I've heard that if you go down it looks bad.

Anyway, I'm probably going to retransmit but just interested in any other opinions. Thanks.

If step 1 is 249 and step 2 is 240, I would not view that as a negative. I would rather see that you got a 240 than not know (yes, the program can tell that you've taken the exam, though I'm not sure if I've ever paid that much attention to whether or not the notation on the app changes once the score is reported to you).

In fact, to the OP's question, I doubt that I'd look all that negatively on 245 --> 225 as long as the rest of the application (especially SLORs and clinical grades) reflect a bright, hard-working, teachable student. If the rest of your application suggests that the 245 is a fluke, then I'm likely to view your total application that way. Having said that, as some have commented, 225 is not a bad score and I wouldn't expect it to affect your interview status at most programs.

Def don't release it. Anybody with a step 2 between 225-233 has borderline MR and obviously got lucky with the 245 on step 1. Psych might take you....with emphasis on "might".

Seriously, do yourself a favor and read the Charting Outcomes statistics on NRMP.

Breath....you'll do fine. You'll match somewhere. Maybe not Cinci or Vandy but somewhere. Def release the Step 2.

I wouldn't worry too much. I had a friend that had sub-200 on both Step 1 and 2 and matched at what would be considered an age old highly regarded EM program. You will end up where you are supposed to at a place that won't judge you on numbers if that is something you are lacking