USMLE Step 2 CK? What the hell do I use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is no consensus anywhere for this exam.

I am thinking Master the Boards Step 2 CK coming out in June 2015 is a new edition. And the Secrets book for a quick read. I probably will do some checking on stuff with UptoDate but I also wanted a book to read.

I also planned to skim through my FA Step 1 because I have forgotten some things.

Will of course use UW questions as my main source. I just do not want to get bogged down in reading all day.

The OnlineMedEd Videos are also good. Probably will use them too.

I will have about 5 weeks.

Would appreciate any advice.....really

Members don't see this ad.

I bought MTB for step 3, 3rd edition with basic science correlates for the new exam and have been looking through it for the past few days since after I took CK - I actually really like this book and feel like it would have been golden to have during CK prep - really concisely written and doesn't mince words. I never liked the pink MTB2 much so I didn't have big expectations for MTB3, but thought I'd give it a try and have been pleasantly surprised. I saw the new MTB2 on amazon pre-order, and if you have time to wait, I'd definitely look into that. If it's anything like the latest MTB3, it'll be a good resource.
Otherwise, stick to UWorld for practice and content review, NBMEs and the mastery series for extra questions. Definitely agree about going back through FA step 1.

step 1 fa would be a huge waste of time. I would only use it to refresh for MICRO and Biostats. That's it.

I would use Step 3 material and Step 2 material only for step 2. You want to master Management of patients for Step 2. Step 3 material emphasizes this the most, more so than a lot of the step 2 material available.

Is CK similar to the shelves because I see plenty of places where a refresher of the info would be good.

Micro is one of course and I plan to get the UW Biostats because I thought I knew it well until I took Step 1 and got beat down. SO, this time I am going to spend more time on it and really have a clue of what it means and not just be familiar.

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe it would be helpful for shevles, they probably tend to ask more detailed questions regarding a diagnosis. but im telling you the emphasis is very different from step 1 and i personally think for organ systems, you would do yourself a disservice re-reading that information...unless you had an abysmal step 1.

the goal for you is to become a master a patient management. that's how you do well on step 2, not by re-learning how to dx the same conditions from step 1

so what book do DO students use in prep for COMLEX Level 2 CE (DO version of Step 2 CK)...

Master the Boards, First Aid for Step 2 or Step up to Step 2?

Uworld, FA for CK (not great but good overview), NBME's and UWSA. ( If your a sucker like me I did DIT since I was sick of reading). I think UTD is fantastic! However, I don't think this is very efficient for Step 2. If you wanna check something, great- but to actually study from this? I don't think its very useful, but thats just my humble opinion. Never used the MTB series so I cannot comment on this. Step Up to Medicine is a fantastic book, and realistically could probably substitute for a large portion of FA for CK but unfortunately it does (as the name implies I suppose) not contain Peds/Surg/OBGYN.

Reactions: 1 user
Uworld, FA for CK (not great but good overview), NBME's and UWSA. ( If your a sucker like me I did DIT since I was sick of reading). I think UTD is fantastic! However, I don't think this is very efficient for Step 2. If you wanna check something, great- but to actually study from this? I don't think its very useful, but thats just my humble opinion. Never used the MTB series so I cannot comment on this. Step Up to Medicine is a fantastic book, and realistically could probably substitute for a large portion of FA for CK but unfortunately it does (as the name implies I suppose) not contain Peds/Surg/OBGYN.

How is first aid for the other chapters if you use step up to medicine for the medicine parts that skip of first aid? Is there anything like Step up to Medicine for Psych-OBGYN-Surgery-PEDs? :) I like the detail from what I saw in the book store but debating between MTB CK + 3. I read Pholston's guide who said MTB CK is outdated or incorrect with many treatments and management?

I think FA does a good job with the other sections in my opinion. The test (for me at least) was/is mainly medicine, so FA was a good review for those other topics. And as I said, I can't really comment on MTB as I never used them.

Reactions: 1 user
I personally liked the combo of step up to medicine with FA for step 2 CK. I did not really use step up to step 2 very much. What I found with most of the step 2 review books is that they are all very basic, and give a broad overview that sometimes is not very helpful. So in my opinion (and it is of course, just that) I picked FA for step 2 because I thought it was a little better than step up to step 2, and then I had already read step up to medicine for my medicine clerkship, so I used that to fill in some details lacking from FA.

ok cool thanks for your input. I do like the colored 8th edition of First Aid Step 2CK but will have to check out the other stuff you mentioned

any word on how pretest is for Step 2? I used PreTest here and there for clinicals and thought it was pretty representative of the stuff tested on shelves.

Does anybody have recommendations as to which prep course to use? I'm thinking about DIT vs. Kaplan (and comprehensive vs. high-yield). Used DIT for step 1 and really liked it. Not sure about step 2 though and the reviews seem pretty mixed... any input would be appreciated.