STEP 2 CS and ROL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lj1230

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not sure how true this is, but I just heard the other day that many programs will not rank you if you haven't taken STEP 2 CS by the time the ROL is due. Does anyone know if there is truth to this, and it is different with different specialities?

I heard this from some classmates that went to a peds mock interview. The program director basically said that CS is part of your total STEP 2 score and that they will not rank anyone that hasn't taken STEP 2 by the time ROL is due.

The problem is that our school did not mention anything about this and just told us that we needed to take the exam before graduation so many of us did not schedule it until March-April so that we could take it during one of the vacation months.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This is program specific. Honestly, only the most competitive programs can afford to be so picky, so it seems unlikely to be true for most.

Of note, this is ABSOULTELY true for IMG's. Step 2 CS is part of ECFMG certification -- if not passed by the ROL deadline IMG's are automatically withdrawn from the entire match.

If you are an IMG/FMG and have not passed the CS by the time the rank order list is due they will be automatically kicked out of nrmp match (sometime Feb). That's a fact. Of course that doesn't mean you can't scramble. I cannot confirm or deny this for AMGs or DOs but I am dead sure of it for FMG/IMGs.

If you are an IMG/FMG and have not passed the CS by the time the rank order list is due they will be automatically kicked out of nrmp match (sometime Feb). That's a fact. Of course that doesn't mean you can't scramble. I cannot confirm or deny this for AMGs or DOs but I am dead sure of it for FMG/IMGs.

It is NOT true for DO's or AMG's, before a nasty rumor gets started here.

IMG's who are withdrawn from the match due to lack of steps can scramble (but as an IMG, scrambling without ECFMG certification is dicey at best)

I have taken the CS test and waiting on results. I still have yet to take the CK of step 2. I am DO student and in a bind because when I originally scheduled my Step 2 months ago I did not count on applying and getting as much interviews as I have gotten. I am not having that much flexibility with dates from the programs either. So I am looking to push my Boards to early Jan. My scores wont come back before the rank list is due. How crucial must step 2 scores be back before putting on rank order list. Or should I just try to tkae them in the disjointed 14 days that I have to study.

:scared:

I have taken the CS test and waiting on results. I still have yet to take the CK of step 2. I am DO student and in a bind because when I originally scheduled my Step 2 months ago I did not count on applying and getting as much interviews as I have gotten. I am not having that much flexibility with dates from the programs either. So I am looking to push my Boards to early Jan. My scores wont come back before the rank list is due. How crucial must step 2 scores be back before putting on rank order list. Or should I just try to tkae them in the disjointed 14 days that I have to study.

:scared:

The answer depends on what field, what programs, their policies, and how competitive your application is. Some programs require a Step 2 score for ranking, esp for DO's. Many do not. You should check with your interviews to see.

If you have LOTS of interviews, almost certainly some of them will not require Step 2.

If you take Step 2 and do poorly, that may hurt you at all of your programs -- even the ones that didn't require Step 2.

No easy answers.

grow a pair and take the test and be done with it. The Steps get increasingly easier as you go along. More than two weeks studying for Step II is a waste of time unless you really want to try for a rockin score.

Question for aProgDirector on this issue,

I had to reschedule my step 2 CK exam which I was going to take in late November, and now have to reschedule it for sometime in December or maybe even early January. How late can I take CK and have the scores come back in time for my programs to see the score before they rank me? When do most programs create their rank lists?

Thank you for your help,

AA

It usually takes about 6 weeks for scores to return.

Most programs make their rank lists in the 2-3 weeks after they finish interviewing. Because the NRMP server becomes impossible close to the ROL deadline, most programs have their lists in at least a week before.

So, if you really want your step 2 score in, you should probably take it by mid Dec, early Jan at the latest.

Question for aProgDirector on this issue,

I had to reschedule my step 2 CK exam which I was going to take in late November, and now have to reschedule it for sometime in December or maybe even early January. How late can I take CK and have the scores come back in time for my programs to see the score before they rank me? When do most programs create their rank lists?

Thank you for your help,

AA

Hi,
Most people are getting their scores back on the third Wednesday after taking the exam. According to the Step 2 forum here, sometimes scores take a little longer but in general it looks like you will have it in about 3 weeks.

aProgDirector,

i PMed you a couple months back, and i took your advice to apply to a lot more community programs. my step 1 score was good, but my step 2 was 79/193. i was very disappointed that it was reported just before sept 1st, so that i had no choice in it being reported.

looking back now, i'm wondering if it was a better thing for it to be reported very early on. instead of getting interviews at good university programs, and then them finding out later that my step 2 was so low, it would probably be a waste of time to go on those interviews considering i would not be the "caliber" of candidate they were looking for. instead, of my 13 interviews, most of them are community/univ. affiliated programs.

the fact that all my cards were on the table (my application was complete sept 1st), and they still invited me for an interview, wouldn't that imply that i would be a competitive candidate at the programs which invited me for interviews?

You got the interview---you have a good chance as any to get a slot! Now instead of worrying over things you can't do anything about, go work on your charming interviewing skills! You'll never get the long-shot if you don't try for it. That's what I tell myself. Sure, you could be disappointed--but that's the risk of achievement. And the pay-off, well, you know them...Good luck! :luck: