step 2 cs before rol?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

digoybugoy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys and gals,

whats the importance of the step 2 cs in ranking by the programs? I have not taken my step 2 cs and my school only requires that I take the exam prior to graduation. Is it important when programs rank candidates? I really want to take mine in May since my cousin is getting married in a step 2 cs city.

Members don't see this ad.

hi guys and gals,

whats the importance of the step 2 cs in ranking by the programs? I have not taken my step 2 cs and my school only requires that I take the exam prior to graduation. Is it important when programs rank candidates? I really want to take mine in May since my cousin is getting married in a step 2 cs city.

While 95% of AMGs have no problem with the test, there are strange failures, for strange reasons for the last 5%. As long as the program you are going to doesn't require that you have step 2 passed before starting, you should have no problems, but since you won't get your scores back until like June/July, you run the small possibility of a late start (or worst case scenario breach of contract, and dismissal).

I say take it early. What's the big deal?

yeah, I just called one of my top programs and they told me that it is required by match rank day. its so surprising because my school told me that you only need to sit through it. hopefully I can take it in January. Do you know if the cs slots are full by that time?

its pass fail right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would take it at the earliest you can. Don't take it in May! What if you're the unlucky few that fail? You will not be able to graduate and thus can't start residency like the previous poster stated. Too risky.

yeah, I just called one of my top programs and they told me that it is required by match rank day. its so surprising because my school told me that you only need to sit through it. hopefully I can take it in January. Do you know if the cs slots are full by that time?

its pass fail right?

Generally speaking, you shouldn't have any problem getting a slot to take the exam. The exam is pass/fail and for the most part if you read the First Aid step 2CS book (approx. 30 or so cases in it) once before the exam, you should be fine. Again, this is assuming you have no issues completing H&Ps in a timely manner.

what is the date that the programs rank you by and release their rank list?

yeah. the earliest Ive seen is feb and my permit has not been processed. does anybody know if we can call/or has called NBME to speed it up so I can schedule immediately?

What you do is sit with the scheduler open and keep refreshing every five minutes, dates will begin to open sooner as you do this, but you can't be picky about locations if you do this.

its pass fail right?

Really? You mean, they want you to have taken it or they need to see that you've passed before they rank you? Even if you take it in Jan, results won't be out by the time they rank people.

I was asked during my interview today whether or not I had passed CS, and my interviewer told me they ask that of all applicants, so you should probably take it ASAP.

What you do is sit with the scheduler open and keep refreshing every five minutes, dates will begin to open sooner as you do this, but you can't be picky about locations if you do this.

You can sign up for email updates by location/date.

You got bad advice. More and more programs are requiring a pass on step 2 skills and written before ranking you. Pass the word on down - take these exams EARLY.

Members don't see this ad :)
You got bad advice. More and more programs are requiring a pass on step 2 skills and written before ranking you. Pass the word on down - take these exams EARLY.

Wouldn't the programs that require this say so on their websites? I've never heard of this anywhere but SDN (not from my school, not on the interview trail). The programs I'm applying to say that they just need the results before you start in June/July.

Wouldn't the programs that require this say so on their websites? I've never heard of this anywhere but SDN (not from my school, not on the interview trail). The programs I'm applying to say that they just need the results before you start in June/July.

Only IM programs that I am aware of that require Step 2 CK/CS results before ranking are Yale and UCSF. All the others that I applied to require results before the start of residency.

Only IM programs that I am aware of that require Step 2 CK/CS results before ranking are Yale and UCSF. All the others that I applied to require results before the start of residency.

While they may not "require" it before ranking, I was told by a couple of PDs during interviews that they will not rank you near the top if you haven't passed it already.

While they may not "require" it before ranking, I was told by a couple of PDs during interviews that they will not rank you near the top if you haven't passed it already.

This is not only the word on the street, but a requirement across the board for many top university programs.

At the med school I attended, it is a requirement to pass Step 2 CS just to graduate. That means the latest you can take it, granted that you pass on the first time, is March. It often takes 8-10 weeks to get your score back. It is not the 3 weeks like for the CK, or the 6 weeks for the step 1. It really takes awhile to grade the CS.

At many top university programs, BEFORE they rank, they want to see your step 1, step 2 CK, and your CS. Think about it this way. Both candidates have identical credentials. One has passed CS, but the other hasn't even taken it yet. As a member of the com, I always think to myself -- what is the 2nd applicant waiting for and why hasn't the 2nd applicant taken CS yet? 10 out of 10 times, I will rank the 1st applicant (who already passed the full steps 1 and 2) higher than the 2nd.

Since you haven't taken it yet, I would suggest registering for the exam. I believe the earliest you can take it now is early to mid-March.

This is not only the word on the street, but a requirement across the board for many top university programs.

At the med school I attended, it is a requirement to pass Step 2 CS just to graduate. That means the latest you can take it, granted that you pass on the first time, is March. It often takes 8-10 weeks to get your score back. It is not the 3 weeks like for the CK, or the 6 weeks for the step 1. It really takes awhile to grade the CS.

At many top university programs, BEFORE they rank, they want to see your step 1, step 2 CK, and your CS. Think about it this way. Both candidates have identical credentials. One has passed CS, but the other hasn't even taken it yet. As a member of the com, I always think to myself -- what is the 2nd applicant waiting for and why hasn't the 2nd applicant taken CS yet? 10 out of 10 times, I will rank the 1st applicant (who already passed the full steps 1 and 2) higher than the 2nd.

Since you haven't taken it yet, I would suggest registering for the exam. I believe the earliest you can take it now is early to mid-March.

Honestly, I doubt a committee is going to worry about someone who scored a 260 on step 1 and honored medicine, not passing step 2...It really doesn't happen.

Honestly, I doubt a committee is going to worry about someone who scored a 260 on step 1 and honored medicine, not passing step 2...It really doesn't happen.

My post was easy to misread. In the context of what you wrote, if I had to choose between two people with 260s and H in medicine, but the only difference was that one passed the CS, I would easily take the applicant who passed CS.

Don't fool yourself. The 5% of who fail CS every year aren't the ones who were failing Step 1 and CK.

yeah, I talked to the asst dean in my school and they said it was the first time they have heard about it. Im taking the CS in Jan 8. Is that too late still? I got interviews at many top programs and I wouldn't want not to match in those.

yeah, I talked to the asst dean in my school and they said it was the first time they have heard about it. Im taking the CS in Jan 8. Is that too late still? I got interviews at many top programs and I wouldn't want not to match in those.

Maybe aPD could comment?

I just can't believe that this would be an important enough issue that a program wouldn't rank people and yet it's not mentioned by the programs on their websites, at the interview day or at applicants' med schools. Just doesn't seem likely.

Maybe aPD could comment?

I just can't believe that this would be an important enough issue that a program wouldn't rank people and yet it's not mentioned by the programs on their websites, at the interview day or at applicants' med schools. Just doesn't seem likely.

Phineus Q:"A number of programs now require that applicants have the results of Step 2 CK/CS available before ranking them on 2/24/2010. My question is not about these programs, rather about those that do not stipulate it as a requirement for ranking. At such programs, are applicants that do not have results back frowned upon, or not ranked highly due to the absence of Step scores?"

aPD A: "This question is unanswerable. Some programs will simply evaluate you without it. Some will see having a Step 2 score as a strength, if good. Some may not care. It's going to vary program to program."

link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=688811

My 2 cents: I also find it hard to believe that major university programs place such a high emphasis on Step 2 CS (to the extent that they lower your rank on the ROL if you don't have a pass) and make no effort to inform the applicants of this. I was told by the PD at my institute (a major university program) that step 2 scores can help (if you aced the exam) but lack of them will certainly NOT hurt your application.

From my knowledge of competitive specialties (Derm, Rad-Onc and Plastics), even these ultra-competitive applicants opt not to take step 2 until after the match--wouldn't you think that these applicants would want to become even more competitive and decide to take step 2.

I believe saying that you will be dropped down on the ROL at most programs due to absence of step 2 scores is alarmism.

so should I cancel my yale interview then. I looked at their site and this it what it says

Do I have to submit both Step 1 and Step 2 before you consider my application for interview?
No, we will review your application if you have submitted only the results of Step 1. However, should you be considered for interview and intend to rank us, we require that you submit the results your USMLE Step 2 before match. We are required to have both Step 1 and Step 2 results on file for every intern who matches with our training programs.

I have a flight scheduled but if they are not even going to consider me because of this should I just inform them that Im not coming because of this technicality?