step 2 CS for anesthesiology match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anbuitachi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing most programs require CK to rank but what about CS. Only wondering b/c a good # of ppl are taking CS in January, which is confusing to me b/c scores for January test takers are out in March, which is after rank list is submitted. Does that mean most anesthesiology programs do not care about the CS?? [I'm wondering b/c i have a schedule conflict]

Members don't see this ad.

I don't mean to necro the thread but do you think we can get a response on this? I was just looking through and I don't think I will have my CS score so I am worried.

well to respond to my own post from 3 years ago, they do care about CS. i got asked this a few times in the interview, more than the step 2 CK (neither score had come out during most of my interviews). I think not having a CS score even affects if you get an interview at a few places. I took both tests in December and luckily got my score back before ranking. I guess that may be one reason to why so many med schools require you take the CS by a certain date.

Members don't see this ad :)
well to respond to my own post from 3 years ago, they do care about CS. i got asked this a few times in the interview, more than the step 2 CK (neither score had come out during most of my interviews). I think not having a CS score even affects if you get an interview at a few places. I took both tests in December and luckily got my score back before ranking. I guess that may be one reason to why so many med schools require you take the CS by a certain date.

Wait... you were getting interviews without having either CS or CK score???? The only score you were going in with was your Step 1?

I got interviews (at some pretty high end places) with only my Step 1 score. My CK score didn't come back until midway through interview season. My CS score came back the day rank lists were due. It didn't seem to be a problem for the programs. Matched at my #1.

I got interviews (at some pretty high end places) with only my Step 1 score. My CK score didn't come back until midway through interview season. My CS score came back the day rank lists were due. It didn't seem to be a problem for the programs. Matched at my #1.

Yeah, with we very often give interviews with solid step 1 and 3rd year clerkship grades. If one is a problem then an early Step 2 CK can help, but it's definitely not a requirement.

We require CK and CS prior to rank deadline, no exceptions. Back when I applied 4-5 years ago almost all of the programs required it as well - just get it done so you can coast through the tail end of 4th year.

Cant imagine an IMG getting any calls just on the basis of Step 1 scores though. Maybe its a USMD thing?

Cant imagine an IMG getting any calls just on the basis of Step 1 scores though. Maybe its a USMD thing?

IMGs (and those with lower Step 1/clinical grades) would do well to take Step 2 soon after 3rd year as the information is still fresh and aim for a high score. There are so many IMG applicants and the field is very competitive for them - you don't want to be the one without that extra bit of information.

For a true FMG a pass on CS is also an absolute must, preferably before applications go out.

Do IMGs even apply with just Step 1. I never heard of any IMG applying without at least getting Step 2 scores back. With that said i would think programs expect step 1 2 from IMGs.

Reactions: 1 user
IMGs (and those with lower Step 1/clinical grades) would do well to take Step 2 soon after 3rd year as the information is still fresh and aim for a high score. There are so many IMG applicants and the field is very competitive for them - you don't want to be the one without that extra bit of information.

For a true FMG a pass on CS is also an absolute must, preferably before applications go out.

Agreed. Still, I was very amused to find that all of my USMD co-interviewees at a competitive mid-west program had applied only with step 1. I was the only IMG.

Agreed. Still, I was very amused to find that all of my USMD co-interviewees at a competitive mid-west program had applied only with step 1. I was the only IMG.

I'm sure its not that surprising esp depending on the month you were there in. If its a competitive program, the US applicants prob have high step 1 scores, so there is no need to take step 2 early and risk getting a lower score. The people who took step 1 early that i know of were all ppl who scored mediocre on step 1. Everyone i know who applied to anes with >250 step 1 score took step 2 late

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sure its not that surprising esp depending on the month you were there in. If its a competitive program, the US applicants prob have high step 1 scores, so there is no need to take step 2 early and risk getting a lower score. The people who took step 1 early that i know of were all ppl who scored mediocre on step 1. Everyone i know who applied to anes with >250 step 1 score took step 2 late

Sounds fair enough

Last edited: