step 2 cs- Mini Mental Exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nope80

Resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you have to know the scoring system for this and give a number in the write up??

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with pseudoknot. I don't think you'll need to do the MMSE on any SPs. And, anyway, if you feel that it is warranted, then you can list it in your A/P on the progress note at the end.

Agree with pseudoknot. I don't think you'll need to do the MMSE on any SPs. And, anyway, if you feel that it is warranted, then you can list it in your A/P on the progress note at the end.

I didn't memorize the whole thing and didn't use it. If I was concerned about someone's mental status, I probably wouldn't have gone beyond finding out if they were A&Ox3. Maybe asked a few other questions if not... But the problem with the MMSE is that it's a very formatted exam that is supposed to be given in a very specific/formulaic way. Trying to recall and do it from memory plus scoring is just a waste of time/effort.

I can do it from recall because I've done it a lot, but did anyone actually do this? I feel like it's almost standard for any confused patient, at least I would get yelled at by residents if I didn't do it (unless on a surgical service lol). But on the exam, is it ok to skip? I feel like I would run out of time otherwise.

I can do it from recall because I've done it a lot, but did anyone actually do this? I feel like it's almost standard for any confused patient, at least I would get yelled at by residents if I didn't do it (unless on a surgical service lol). But on the exam, is it ok to skip? I feel like I would run out of time otherwise.
This thread is beyond old but okay,

Usually if you feel its absolutely necessary you can just do the quick A+Ox3 run through, and then order a full MSE in your work up plan. This is according to FA.

Took the exam yesterday and thought the time during the encounter seems to go by QUICK, so by the time you even get to doing the MMSE, you'll have gone through so many differential questions that you might be running short on time, so I'd suggest doing the quick then ordering an MSE in the workup.