Step 2 CS Mistakes: Feedback please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monkey Jones

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please someone help me understand if I ****ed up my Step 2 CS. These are my errors:

1) I completely bombed two of the cases. There were two Nuero Cases, but I didn’t even do a nuero or HEENT exam on them (I can't get any more specific without breaking rules). Ironically, both of these cases were the same chief complaint, so I suspect/hope that one of them is experimental and wont count.
2) I draped some of the patients incorrectly for abdominal exams. For example I pulled the gown down completely, exposing the chest.
3) I didn’t summarize the H&P for ANYONE. I did a strong closure, and explained my workup, but never did a summary.
4) For pre-diabetic patient, I didn’t counsel him on food, I didn’t check his sensory on exam, and I didn’t do a fundoscopic exam. I also didn’t order an albumin test on the workup. I did cover his primary disorder though.
5) For cervical disk herniation, I wrote down the diagnosis as impinged nerve. I don’t know if they accept non medical terminology.
6) I forgot sexual history for a couple of patients.
7) I forgot to ask one of the female patients about her menstrual cycles. I don’t think it was related to the diagnosis, but still.

I think the rest of the exam went well. I did the standard things correctly, wash hands, use patients name, respectfully spoke, discussed smoking/drug/sex issues. I did a closure for everyone, and never ran out of time. I'm American so English isn't an issue. My main concern is the two cases that I bombed, and the draping issues for the abdominal exam. Am I guaranteed to fail?? Please help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Here are my predictions: sep-pass, cis-pass if you were nice, built rapport, counseled, adressed their concerns. ice- ? don't know anymore lol. The only thing that concerns me is that you didn't summarize hpi..don't know how that's looked at. Also, did you write you dx in order most to least likely? For some of the things you mentioned..like sexual hx..you just might not get that check marked on by that specific sp encounter..but if you usually asked..it wont matter since it's a cumulative thing. Were all your cases easy to diagnose, and figure out the main dx?

Please someone help me understand if I ****ed up my Step 2 CS. These are my errors:

1) I completely bombed two of the cases. There were two Nuero Cases, but I didn’t even do a nuero or HEENT exam on them (I can't get any more specific without breaking rules). Ironically, both of these cases were the same chief complaint, so I suspect/hope that one of them is experimental and wont count.
2) I draped some of the patients incorrectly for abdominal exams. For example I pulled the gown down completely, exposing the chest.
3) I didn’t summarize the H&P for ANYONE. I did a strong closure, and explained my workup, but never did a summary.
4) For pre-diabetic patient, I didn’t counsel him on food, I didn’t check his sensory on exam, and I didn’t do a fundoscopic exam. I also didn’t order an albumin test on the workup. I did cover his primary disorder though.
5) For cervical disk herniation, I wrote down the diagnosis as impinged nerve. I don’t know if they accept non medical terminology.
6) I forgot sexual history for a couple of patients.
7) I forgot to ask one of the female patients about her menstrual cycles. I don’t think it was related to the diagnosis, but still.

I think the rest of the exam went well. I did the standard things correctly, wash hands, use patients name, respectfully spoke, discussed smoking/drug/sex issues. I did a closure for everyone, and never ran out of time. I'm American so English isn't an issue. My main concern is the two cases that I bombed, and the draping issues for the abdominal exam. Am I guaranteed to fail?? Please help!!

This is the only case where it looks like you could have lost a number of points. What exam did you do on a neuro case? Even then if the rest of cases went well...

And the rest of the stuff is super minor and isn't a big deal imo.

Thanks for the reply. The other 10 dx were straightforward, and I believe I got all ten of them (with the exception of referring to a disk herniation as a "nerve impingement").

I just did a poor job on those two cases, in which I completely didn't do a Neuro PE for two lightheaded patients. I did however do the standard PE on those two patients (cardio, pulmo, extremities). I unfortunately can't go into more detail, because I don't want the moderator to kick me out. Is it weird to have two lightheaded patients in a group of 12 SPs? I figure that one of those has got to be an experimental.

And yes, I did not summarize the H&P for anyone! I started my closure by saying "Well sir, I think I know what is happening here. Based on the history and physical exam exam......."

Does anyone else have any opinions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Our opinions don't matter, as it is not representative of anything based in reality (by that, I mean we don't score your exam and only *you* were there during your clinical encounters).

What I see from your description, you made mistakes that are pretty common and not all that major. You will likely be fine, but no one will know until you get your score report. So stop thinking about it. It's over.

Thanks for the replies guys. And yeah, you're right rueby25, I should just stop worrying and hope for the best. Hopefully you guys are all correct, and that these mistakes will not cause me to fail.

If anyone else can compare to their exam and exam results, I will much appreciate it.

It was not Philly. I won't disclose the location though, as I don't want to break any rules. So is the unofficial consensus that its not too bad? Meaning you guys made similar errors and passed? I keep reading online how other students have failed and are shocked, and they apparently didn't make the huge errors (not doing nuero exams on lightheaded patients) like I did.

Thanks again for replies. I helps just to talk about it :)

I don't think it breaks any rules to say where you took your exam. I took mine in philly. It sucked. What a waste of money.