Step 2 CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cormac

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a USMG and I failed Step 2 CS the first time. Passed the second time. How much will it hurt me when I apply for derm match?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a USMG and I failed Step 2 CS the first time. Passed the second time. How much will it hurt me when I apply for derm match?

That depends how the rest of your application looks like (see below). I'll paste what I pasted in another thread:
  • Tier of your medical school?
  • Preclinical grades?
  • Clinical Grades?
  • AOA?
  • Rank in your medical school class?
  • Step scores?
  • Research? What type (basic science vs. clinical)? Where they posters, abstracts, or publications?
  • LORs from academic dermatologists?
Based on how strong this is, will determine whether you matched. As Step 2 CS is only graded pass/fail, and you passed, I think it is something that might be mentioned if they go searching for it, but I don't think it will be harped on, esp. since most PDs know it's a waste-of-time test. You passed, that's what's important.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Nowadays your grades for all the USMLE exams you have taken are automatically visible as long as you agree to transmit your USMLE transcript. You can't really hide a failure if you have taken the exam at the time you submit ERAS, unfortunately. I would say that unless you do a research fellowship or have a strong tie with a derm big wig , the chances of you getting in would be very slim...

Nowadays your grades for all the USMLE exams you have taken are automatically visible as long as you agree to transmit your USMLE transcript. You can't really hide a failure if you have taken the exam at the time you submit ERAS, unfortunately. I would say that unless you do a research fellowship or have a strong tie with a derm big wig , the chances of you getting in would be very slim...
Congratulations on your 2nd post!

Reactions: 1 user
anyone know if there are any derm programs that require your CS score to be back before rank lists? i know there are a few that require CK, but heard some programs have started requiring CS as well..

anyone know if there are any derm programs that require your CS score to be back before rank lists? i know there are a few that require CK, but heard some programs have started requiring CS as well..
Never heard of CS being an actual requirement before rank lists - mainly bc it's known to be a joke of an exam and Pass/Fail scoring.