Step 2 for application and ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glug

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS3 planning on applying to ENT next year. I couldn't find any recent threads that addressed this question, so I'm curious to know when is the latest I can take Step 2 CK and/or CS without it affecting my chances of matching?

For those who went through the ENT application and match process recently, did you come across any programs that required Step 2 scores to grant interview or rank? I would like to put Step 2 off until after interview season, if possible.

I'm specifically interested in your experience with programs on the East Coast.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

10 years ago we never looked at Step 2 scores. More often than not, if someone had a great Step 1 score, we didn't really care.

Things have changed a bit now. We look for Step 2 scores and if they aren't present, we ask why. I'd think that at least in my institution that if your application is otherwise strong, we would probably overlook it's absence. If your step 1 score is average or above average, I recommend having the test done for interview season, and hopefully it will be better than Step 1.

I took step 2 in January after my interview season (both CK and CS). I think I got my score sometime in Feb. UCSF was the only program (that I interviewed at) that wanted step 2 done by the time match day rolled around.

I interviewed at 20 programs and only 2 programs asked me when I planned on taking step 2.