Step 2 knowledge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tasar1898

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I posted this on Step 2 forum too but this subforum looks more suitable , hope you can help..

Hey everyone , I am a 5th year medical student and I just received my score for step 1 like a wk ago. After the mandatory ''honeymoon'' I started thinking about Step 2 CK and I can't seem to find some cookie cutter method to excel in it , analogous to the step 1 guides.

Anyways , I don't want to ask about Step 2 review books but rather how can I build my knowledge up until the point I take step 2 CK ( like 1.5 yrs from now) . Is there a series of condensed books that American students use during their clerkships or they study 1000pg bricks ?

I' ve done a preliminary IM and GS rotation and passed the analogous ''shelf''(with last-minute cramming and guesswork from Step 1 knowledge) but really I have no clue about anything hospital related since I was focused on step 1 studying.. I still have Cardio, Derm , ICU , Neuro , Final IM and GS, OB/Gyn ,Peds , Psych , Pathology Rotations and I'd like to have a manageable book to study in each of those , instead of relying on outdated , horrendous , 1500pg Greek books published 10-15 yrs ago

So my question is : How do I build the basis of knowledge that the avg american student has so when the time comes , review books make sense to me and I dont need to study 5-6 months for Step 2 ?? I had to study for step 1 from scratch since I procrastinated tons on first 3 yrs of med school and I 'd like to avoid reliving that experience... Thanks to everyone in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Check the shelf exam threads for each specialty to see what american med students are studying for shelves/step 2. A quick few things off the top of my head would be:

Overall: Uworld for CK (most important), onlinemeded (free videos and awesome)

Everything else: the above +
Peds- case files
Neuro- Pretest neuro
Ob/gyn- case files
Psych- first aid for psych
Surgery- pestana +/- audio, maybe devirgilio's
IM- Step up to medicine or MKSAP if you can get past the 1500 Uworld questions
Family- who knows. Maybe AAFP questions.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd say MTB and Uworld. Honestly I haven't really learned anything in rotations that are specific to the tests and if I did it was something I already read in these resources

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot guys , I 'll check all these books!

Step 2 CK = Uworld primarily, add MTB II (for IM) and MTB III (for all other fields), potentially Step up to medicine if you want more focused medicine stuff.

Potentially can add the following for specific weaknesses:
Ob/gyn - Blueprints, Peds - BRS I think(?), Psych - FA for psych, Surgery - Pestana in addition to above sources, IM - MKSAP or step up to medicine

Reactions: 1 user