Step 2 question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FoughtFyr

Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help...
A question for the group,

Will I put myself in ?bad shape? by delaying Step 2 until October? I have a 210 Step 1 and I am scheduled to take Step 2 on August 7th. The hope was to improve on my Step 1 and have the results available for my application. However, I am also getting married on August 16th. The reality is that the stress (and time constraints) of the wedding are more than I had counted on. I?m not sure if, at this point, taking the exam on August 7th will represent my best effort. That said, if need be, my fianc? is willing to ?take me out of the loop? on everything to make a 1 week study push ? if I feel the 210 will hurt if it stands alone.

I don't know, anyone have any thoughts?

- H

Members don't see this ad.

Gimme a %age score and I might be able to help.

Also, are you limited geographically for residency or is the entire US wide open for your choices?

Q, DO

Originally posted by QuinnNSU
Gimme a %age score and I might be able to help.

Also, are you limited geographically for residency or is the entire US wide open for your choices?

Q, DO

%ages are no longer given by USMLE. A 215 is the published nationwide mean, and the SEM is +/- 6 points. So I'm at the lowest possible end of "average"

I need to stay in the Midwest.

Otherwise strong application. Honors in IM, Surg., and psych. Waiting for eval from 1st EM clerkship - but verbal feedback was very positive. 8 years as a paramedic before school. 1 solid research paper as lead author and lots of other research experience, and I have an MPH degree. I'm coming from an allopathic school (U of Ill.), but there is no EM residency at the campus I attend (Rockford).

Anything else you need to know...?

- H

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you'll have a problem... I think as an average applicant with decent letters, you should be able to get interviews at the majority of the EM programs in the midwest. I mean, look how many OH and MI have. I didnt' want to go to the midwest, which why many didn't rank highly with me... but they have good training and awesome benefits (especially the OH ones, with the moonlighting!).

Just make sure you get yourself seen (try to go to the state ACEP meetings), and get some decent letters on your elective EM months.

I would suggest NOT to take Step 2. Get your application off ASAP... take it when you have time... and ENJOY your wedding!

Q, DO