STEP 2 Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMapplicant99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker, posting here in hopes that some people might be willing to help shed some light on when it would be best to take step 2.

My step 1 score was 250, and I was wondering if it would be a disadvantage to delay step 2 until mid October. My scores may not come back until mid November, which means that my application wouldn't be complete until then. Do programs still interview students with incomplete applications?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you should have any issues. There may be a few programs that want a step 2 score before inviting you to interview, but these programs are exceptions to the norm. I doubt anyone would question your test-taking skills, intelligence, or work ethic with such a good step 1 score. It's more important to get step 2 ck completed early if you have a low or borderline step 1.

With a great Step 1 score you shouldn't have a problem but remember to factor audition rotations into your study time. If you are doing them in August and September you may find yourself with very little time to study.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just take it so you will have a score back well before rank list time.
Only an idiot would not give you an invite with no step 2 score if the rest of your app is good.

Long time lurker, posting here in hopes that some people might be willing to help shed some light on when it would be best to take step 2.

My step 1 score was 250, and I was wondering if it would be a disadvantage to delay step 2 until mid October. My scores may not come back until mid November, which means that my application wouldn't be complete until then. Do programs still interview students with incomplete applications?

I was also in the 250's. Did one pass through uworld and went up significantly. Just take the test.

Last edited:
Yeah I had a 258 and my home PD said just take step 2 in July to get it over with. Won't hurt to wait, but do it while it's fresh.

If you scored that well on step 1, odds are you will score well on step 2 and it could help you. EM PDs seem to like step 2 more than step 1 anyhow. So, I say take it. The odds that you do well and it helps you are better than the odds that you suck on it and it hurts. So, why not?

Damn, those are some sizzling step scores. Is EM getting to Ortho and Derm territory nowadays?