Step 3 after graduation and before PGY1 for oto-HNS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clinicallabguy

Larry N. Gology
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Congrats to all who matched! I'm honored to have the opportunity of starting on the path towards becoming your colleague. I've been reading today in the Step 3 forum about whether it's a good idea to take Step 3 right after graduation. The consensus there seemed to be that many thought it was great to get it accomplished early, with the potential exception of those going into IM subspecialties. It appears IM subspecialties such as cards look at it closely according to the SDN forums.

The reason why I'm posting here is because I couldn't find anything about whether it is a good or bad idea to take it early as an oto-HNS resident. Do fellowships take step 3 scores into account when evaluating applicants? If so, then maybe I should get some of intern year under my belt before taking it (?). And if not, then it seems like a good idea to take it early.

I want to do my best on it, but on the other hand I think there is merit to getting the accomplishment of licensing behind me so that I can move on to other career goals. Also, it would be nice to spend my free moments with my kids during intern year, instead of studying some of the "less-relevant to my career" topics of step 3. Some of the components of the test may be fresher on my mind now than they will be in a year having taken Step 2 less than 5 months ago (seems like an eternity ago, though).

What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on matching!

Relax this summer and enjoy the last long stretch of free time you'll have for at least 5 years.

Do take Step 3 before the end of your intern year so the information is still relatively fresh in your mind. If you're smart enough to match in ENT, you're smart enough to pass Step 3 without studying much. It doesn't matter for fellowship applications.

Reactions: 1 user
The answer to this question depends on you.

Step III is different than the other steps because you do simulations of patient care, and there are questions on the MCQ section that involve the "next steps" in clinical management. You will get exposed to this during your intern year and it will make these questions much easier. That being said, with a little studying you should have no problem passing the Step III exam before intern year, so the question becomes is it worth it?

This time between Match-Intern year is like the Golden Age of your life. I referred to it as 3 months of Saturdays. It will not come again in any form really...a true vacation with no responsibility, good weather, and anticipation of a move (if you're doing that). I wouldn't want to spend one day let alone 2 weeks of studying + 2 days of test taking during that time. But I was jealous of the other residents who took it early (I waited until R3 year).

That being said, if your last rotation as a M4 is pretty cake (which it should be!), you could study during the end of that rotation and take Step III right after graduation and it would be fine.

The test will require at least 1 week of studying and doing practice cases to ensure you will pass. I didn't have the time, energy, discipline, or money to do it before intern year, but if you do, it shouldn't be a problem passing.

Members don't see this ad :)
True, gstrub, end of 4th year is pretty much the last block of free time, and if you want to travel or anything like that, it is a good opportunity.

However, taking step III in the midst of any intern rotation is a bit annoying. Really, it is just personal preference.

To the OP, I am not 100%, but I don't think fellowships weigh in step III scores. Frankly, I wouldn't want to do a fellowship with someone who cared about step III scores. It is a lot more about personal recommendations/LORs, pubs and personality match. I would just review the material so that you pass, and take it at the time that is most convenient for you.

I had to do an ED rotation intern year..it was the best stimulus to think about non surgical things like peds or OB..plus the schedule lends itself to study time (minimal really). Then I scheduled so I had a few days off around the test so I could be well rested and review a few topics..I considered anything >210 as a testament that I studied too much. I think I got like 208 or something. I don't think anyone cares. Just make sure to pass..

As we used to say in the old days:
Step 1 - 2 months
Step 2 - 2 weeks
Step 3 - 2 pencils

As I did in the old days:

Step I - 2 months
Step II - 0
Step III - 0

Step III should be no problem. Take it as early as possible to get it out of the way while all of your previous core rotations in med school are still in your residency. There have been many who take it late in their residency and regret not taking it earlier.