Step 3 changes and PGY-3 at risk

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RickyJohnson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
Currently a PGY-2, I have to take step 3 before december of this year, as I need step 3 pass before PGY-3
I am very anxious, as results don't come back until April.
Now wanted to apply for it now, but no spots on October, and apparently from what I can read on the website I can't apply for this current format anymore? like in september?

please advice, I don't want to put in danger my PGY-3

thank you and have a great day,

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, old format final sign up date was mid July. I'm not sure when the new format opening sign up date is, but that can be easily found on NBME/step 3 website. Please note that score release delay will cause 5-6 months to go by before scores are released.

And that is why I am anxious, because worst case scenario I don't pass, results are back in April and I need to pass it in order to be PGY-3

I assume you are a PGY-2 in internal medicine. If that's true, then simply passing the exam will not be difficult. Having done 2 years of IM work, you'll be prepared for 70% of the exam right off the bat. Brushing up on Obgyn, psych, peds, etc + doing the CCS cases (which again, should be easy for you) will not take too much time or effort. good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure what advice you want.

The deadline for the old step III format was mid-july, and had been announced for months and months in advance. Now that the deadline has passed, the website is clear on what the process is. You won't be eligible to take the exam until November.

Study for it and pass it. That's all you can do now.

I assume you are a PGY-2 in internal medicine. If that's true, then simply passing the exam will not be difficult. Having done 2 years of IM work, you'll be prepared for 70% of the exam right off the bat. Brushing up on Obgyn, psych, peds, etc + doing the CCS cases (which again, should be easy for you) will not take too much time or effort. good luck
Yes I wish that was the case, but the new format looks crazy lot's of basic science.

I'm not sure what advice you want.

The deadline for the old step III format was mid-july, and had been announced for months and months in advance. Now that the deadline has passed, the website is clear on what the process is. You won't be eligible to take the exam until November.

Study for it and pass it. That's all you can do now.
I know, you are absolutely right, I should have noticed it before, but I did not read the July deadline. This months will be tough.

The new practice materials on the USMLE website are not that different from the old ones.

The outline of the new format has 1-3% of questions based on foundational science and says that typically those questions will be about normal processes and development.

What's really changed is the structure and focus of the exam. Day 1 will be a cut down to 6 blocks with 42-43 per block. Day 2 will be extended to 6 blocks with 33 per block, followed by 13 CCS. Tutorial time is down to 5 minutes each day (plus 7 minutes for CCS). Day 1 is all about diagnosis, ethics, ads/abstracts and "patient safety and practice based learning". Day 2 is all about prognosis and management.