Step 3 jitters need quick advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

future3323

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Ive been reading these posts for some time now and its eased my mind just a bit for the exam which is next week for me.
Just wanted some quick advice based on what ive done to study.

I completed Uworld with 64 percent average and repeated the missed ones
Also did kaplan with 70 % average and repeated missed qs as well
Ive reviewed Master the boards with all notes added about 4-5 times
And for CCS ive done all cases 1.5 times and reviewed first aid 100 cases .

I know that will seem like plenty of prep but just wanted to ask if its any use taking the self assessment or will it just be overkill and possibly hurt my momentum or confidence if its not what i expected?

Thanks everyone I appreciate the help and advice
originally posted in wrong thread sorry for duplicate post

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't taken it yet. Taking the self assessment will give you an objective idea of where you stand. Whether it will hurt your momentum and confidence, that's something only you can decide. I would suggest maybe getting through the whole of CCS again just to be completely comfortable with it. Also try the official practice material from the NBME. The UWorld score correlation thread can give you some idea of what to expect score wise, if you don't intend to take the assessment.

thanks for the reply and help , thehundrethone...

Yea ive done about 85 ccs case simulations and re read them all if i get some similar cases ill be set for sure, im just drained at this point after 2 months of studying for this exam . I think im set for the multiple choice i was just worried about ccs a bit but I dont know how much one can study for that portion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Almost assuredly overkill, but need more info. Specifically, what's your specialty and how far along are you? If you're a new PGY-2 in Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, or Internal Medicine, there's a "two pencils" statement that comes to mind. If you're a PGY-3 psychiatry resident and the last time you've thought about pregnancy is when the royal baby was born and can't remember what FeNa even is, it's still overkill, but at least more understandable.

If someone learns well from questions, I think it's worth doing a few more just to keep the ol' gears spinning. If it's stress inducing though, then maybe it's overkill.

thanks for the reply daedalus ,

a little background
I just graduated med school (IMG)
step 1 232
step 2 237

I didnt match this year so im looking to get a high score to help me a bit more.
Ive been studying for two months now, literally memorized MTB at this point because ive gone over it so many times, did U world fully through once and re did the ones i missed on top of doing all 900 kaplan Qs.

I feel like the MCQs I have under control but its the ccs that im worried about doing well in, I mean I know there's no way to just flat out cram every possible case so Im just trying to be as thorough as possible but in the mean time ive given my self much more anxiety than I would have imagined. Ive gone through CCS uworld twice and reviewed the cases multiple times , and ive gone through first aid cases twice .

I know this will sound like overkill for certain but I got one day left and dont know if there is anything else I should do to use this time?

Thanks again guys

I feel like the MCQs I have under control but its the ccs that im worried about doing well in, I mean I know there's no way to just flat out cram every possible case so Im just trying to be as thorough as possible but in the mean time ive given my self much more anxiety than I would have imagined. Ive gone through CCS uworld twice and reviewed the cases multiple times , and ive gone through first aid cases twice .

I know this will sound like overkill for certain but I got one day left and dont know if there is anything else I should do to use this time?
You shouldn't have to cram any of the cases if your clinical knowledge is good. The only thing to keep in mind would be tests and interventions that you tend to forget in certain cases.