Step 3/Level 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuremedex

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow pathology enthusiasts. I am finishing my 4th year and applying for path residencies. Pondering when the best time to take Level 3 (I am a DO) would be? Go ahead and get it out of the way before residency because there isn't "an intern year"? Would I have time and energy to multi-task and study for Level 3 during 1st year residency? Any advice or comments are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You are probably best poised to take Step 3 now. I took it my 3rd year of residency and studied for it for a few weeks during a Chemistry rotation where I wasn't really doing anything else. It really didn't seem that much different than Step 2. I just basically ended up skipping any question with an EKG on it since it had been a few years since I had even looked at those. I don't think your score really matters that much. I'd just try to get it out of the way as soon as possible.

Take it as soon as possible. As a pathologist you are best prepared for it straight out of med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, take it ASAP. I waited a year and still passed it, but took a 20 point drop and probably killed one of my case patients.

Reactions: 1 user
Take it before starting residency, so you can focus on learning pathology your first year. There is almost nothing that you learn in pathology residency that will help you pass that test.

See attachment, as promised! Still a work in progress but I hope it's helpful.
Take it as soon as you are allowed. You're as prepared now as you need to be, and your clinical knowledge will decline a bit during your first year of residency.

Reactions: 1 user