step 3 requirements?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madison88

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just graduated med school....looking to take step 3 soon. I was confused on the requirements to take step 3. I looked on the fsmb(???) website and they have a list of each states requirements in terms of initial medical licensure. Is this the same as requirements for step 3. Most states require 1 year to get the license.
I know that some states allow you to take step 3 just as long as you pass step 1, 2(ck and cs), and graduate med school.....just wanted to know where I could find the list. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I couldn't find florida on your link, what are the florida requirements?

miamiradonc said:
I couldn't find florida on your link, what are the florida requirements?

Florida no longer sponsors Step 3. You can register through any state (i.e. pick Connecticut because it has hardly any prerequisites) and sit for it anywhere you want (for example, register through New York and sit for it in Florida). Comprende? ;) Hope your vacation is going well. I started orientation already this past Monday! :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
i started orientation yesterday, thanks for the advice, see you next year!!

so is it possible to take step 3 before the end of med school? i was thinking of taking it right before graduation.

http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_requirementschart.html

I'm looking at that site and I am curious whether or not you are elligible to write the exam if you have training elsewhere i.e. in Australia.
Am I correct that some states require you do to one year overseas first before you are allowed to write step 3?

But most require Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education approval?
Or?