Step 3 right after graduation, bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Engineerist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was planning on writing step 3 this June after graduation, before starting intern year. I've done all of UW (62% average) and am now starting to look through the UW CCS cases. I feel ready for it but I am worried it might be a mistake to take it so soon. I want to get it out of the way but not at the expense of a low score. I want to go into cards.

Could anyone whose already written Step 3 comment on doing it right after graduation versus in a year's time? Do you think there is any harm in writing it so soon?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Oh ya, I'm going into IM. That's true about the PD. But do I really need him to sign off on my step 3 app since it will be before July 1st? I was hoping not. I don't think you have to be in a residency to do Step 3 in some states, ergo I don't need to even bother my PD as long as I do it before day one of residency. Is this right aPD?

Ok, so one vote for yes. Any nay sayers out there? If not I'm gonna do it......

Thanks for the replies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just go for it!!! Most of the international graduates take it before residency. Residency doesn't help much in terms of step 3 questions or ccs. I have taken it before residency, and passed it. Actually it is tough to manage step 3 during residency. Good luck!!

I'm also planning on taking before residency or within the first few weeks as I'll be on elective. Are you taking a course or just using UWorld?

I graduated from a Caribbean med school and was a reapplicant. I took Step 3 before reapplying and as soon as I was eligible (ECFMG certifed). It helped me to match and I know this July, I'll sleep better not having another thing to worry about during my intern year.

You can register in the state of Connecticut. It is where I registered (as well as a lot of other IMGs). You don't need any postgraduate training to be eligible and it does not matter what state you are from or what state you're going to do your residency in.

http://fsmb.org/usmle_requirementschart.html

The above link shows the state specific Step 3 requirements for each of the 50 states. You might want to avoid the states that have additional fees on top of the exam fee.

If you have any other questions, PM me. Cheers!

Last edited:
Just make sure your program is cool with it and take it as soon as possible. The only caveat being that if you are an IM tracker you are likely to actually learn things that are applicable throughout the year and if you are interested in fellowship you will want to have a Step III score congruent with your other steps. Regardless, the test is easy and it will feel nice to have it over with.

Survivor DO

just make sure your program is cool with it and take it as soon as possible. The only caveat being that if you are an im tracker you are likely to actually learn things that are applicable throughout the year and if you are interested in fellowship you will want to have a step iii score congruent with your other steps. Regardless, the test is easy and it will feel nice to have it over with.

Survivor do

no program will not be cool with it unless you fail!!! Take it!

I'm also planning on taking before residency or within the first few weeks as I'll be on elective. Are you taking a course or just using UWorld?

I just did UW Qbank and CCS. It is more than enough. I dont think a course is necessary for this test at all. Its so similar to Step 2 and 1 format, and the CCS part can be "learned" pretty quick by doing the UW CCS and reading their advice after each case. Super psyched to do it!

Just make sure your program is cool with it and take it as soon as possible. The only caveat being that if you are an IM tracker you are likely to actually learn things that are applicable throughout the year and if you are interested in fellowship you will want to have a Step III score congruent with your other steps. Regardless, the test is easy and it will feel nice to have it over with.

Survivor DO

Totally a fair point, and I want to do Cards so I want a reasonable score. But I think I can pull that off at this point. I definitely know writing it this early is a gamble though. The ICU questions were the hardest for me since I never did an ICU rotation, so I had to read up on some core ICU care principles.

Any AMG's who took it right after graduation? I'm trying to take it as quickly as possible--preferably before intern year starts (will have vacation time between match and July 1, hoping to study/knock it out then). But there seems to be a rate limiting step of needing to be post-graduation before even applying for an eligibility window. Seems like that might be an impossible timeline.

If any of you managed some loop hole to apply before your graduation date, willing to share tips?

Any AMG's who took it right after graduation? I'm trying to take it as quickly as possible--preferably before intern year starts (will have vacation time between match and July 1, hoping to study/knock it out then). But there seems to be a rate limiting step of needing to be post-graduation before even applying for an eligibility window. Seems like that might be an impossible timeline.

If any of you managed some loop hole to apply before your graduation date, willing to share tips?

Most graduate in mid-May, leaving you with about 1.5 months before July 1 intern year start. I guess best thing would be to start studying now so that you can get the earliest date post graduation. The earlier the better seems to be the advice I also keep hearing, just not sure if this applied going into IM with thoughts of fellowship etc.

I'm going to first see where I match and the contact my PD and see what he or she says and plan accordingly. I don't want to have to worry ITE along with Step 3 during intern year.