Step 3 score and fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grigory76

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is step 3 score when applying for competitive fellowships?
I got 97 on step 1 and 99 on step 2, and very optimistic about my IM match. I think I could *pass* step 3 before the residency, but I would hate to get something like 79, especially if it will matter for the fellowship match later on. At the same time I would love to get it out of the way before starting my residency.
You suggestions are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Whatever the relevance of Step 3 for your fellowship- chances are you will get a better result now. Questions resemble Step 2 a lot. CCS can be managed if you use the books (see earlier question). If you have 6-8 weeks to learn 3 hours a day (something you won't have during residency) go for it now. The clinical experience for sure does not help more than the spare time to learn you have now.

NoSz said:
Whatever the relevance of Step 3 for your fellowship- chances are you will get a better result now. Questions resemble Step 2 a lot. CCS can be managed if you use the books (see earlier question). If you have 6-8 weeks to learn 3 hours a day (something you won't have during residency) go for it now. The clinical experience for sure does not help more than the spare time to learn you have now.

I thought the common opinion was that the results are universally better after the internship due to better knowledge of clinical management.
I would still like to find out about the relationship between the score and fellowship match.
I do have 3 months to study, 3 hours/day for sure.

grigory76 said:
I thought the common opinion was that the results are universally better after the internship due to better knowledge of clinical management.
I would still like to find out about the relationship between the score and fellowship match.
I do have 3 months to study, 3 hours/day for sure.

Step 3 doesn't have a big play into matching for fellowship... with that being said you probably will be asked why your scores dropped dramatically should this happen, but overall who you know, letters, research, publications are much more important than Step 3.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another option would be to take Step 3 AFTER you apply for fellowship during your PGY2. What do you think?
I am in a similar situation -- hesitant not to be able to "live up to" my Step1/2 scores...

palliate said:
Another option would be to take Step 3 AFTER you apply for fellowship during your PGY2. What do you think?
I am in a similar situation -- hesitant not to be able to "live up to" my Step1/2 scores...

Same here, don't want to screw up the previous 2 numbers with the 3rd one, even though it's not as important. Give me 90 and I'll be happy. I would probably hate myself for 80.

grigory76 said:
Same here, don't want to screw up the previous 2 numbers with the 3rd one, even though it's not as important. Give me 90 and I'll be happy. I would probably hate myself for 80.

Hi there,
Step III doesn't play much role in fellowship applications unless you fail it. What you need to be concentrating on is busting good scores on your in-service exams and specialty boards.

njbmd :)