STEP 3 Score VS USMLE WORLD AVERAGE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FirstMANdown

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a great thread for Step 2ck VS UW%. I though it might be helpful if anyone out there can give us there input with there Step 3 VS UW%...etc as well. Anyways Thanks for the contribution.

I'm do to take Step 3 in the next month. Will update this thread as well. For better or for worse. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
DONE!

Here's what I did:

Read First Aid
UWorld (did all questions, untimed non-tutor mode): 72%
Annotated stuff I didn't know into First Aid, and reviewed all annotations the day before the test
Did ~85% of practice CCS cases (these are really where the money's at..)

Step III: 270/96

Let me know if you have any questions.

DONE!

Here's what I did:

Read First Aid
UWorld (did all questions, untimed non-tutor mode): 72%
Annotated stuff I didn't know into First Aid, and reviewed all annotations the day before the test
Did ~85% of practice CCS cases (these are really where the money's at..)

Step III: 270/96

Let me know if you have any questions.

Nice job. How beneficial did you find FA? How long did you study for?

The two digit score is screwy it seems, not that it really matters.

I took it earlier this week.
To study, I read First Aid once. Then completed all of the USMLEworld questions (mostly tutor mode as time is never an issue with me) with a 62% average. I also did all 52 cases and repeated the ones in which I had any difficulty.

Exam: Finished all of the blocks with 5 to 10 min to spare. The USMLEworld questions were somewhat similar to what the real thing had, except I felt like the real thing had more outpatient scenarios. I didn't feel great about the blocks, but it seems like everyone is the same way.
11 of the 12 cases went great. The patient got better quickly and the cases ended in 5 to 10 minutes. The other one was a mystery to me. The patient never got better but never got worse, but the case still ended in less than 10 minutes.

I'll report back when I get the score in a few weeks I assume.

Just got out and that test was brutal. I definitely felt like the UWorld questions were less representative than usual this time around. The actual exam felt way more primary care oriented: like the questions should have been easier but were in fact harder because I didn't know any of them. UWorld CCS was definitely great prep for that part of the exam, every case ended fast (one eneded so fast I still think I might have screwed up, becaues I barely started managing the patient). I definitely feel like I would have felt more prepared if I had made a little more time for reading MTB.

Anyway: Uworld, all but 275 questions complete on random, timed blocks witha 57% average. 217 on the UWorld practice exam, finished all but 5 of the CCS cases, and read a few chapeters of master the boards on my weakest subjects. Hoping I only need to take this once, guess I'll find out in 3 weeks.

Got my score back: 225. I did best with questions about kids (yeah peds residency) and my best section was CCS. All in all I'm happy. My take aways: The USMLE practice test is very accurate, and its worth doing every single CCS case. Anyway the main point is I'm done with the Steps forever. Woo!

Nice job. How beneficial did you find FA? How long did you study for?

Studied about 4 weeks part time (meaning studied after work, wouldn't study for several days at a time then would study 2-3 hours or more on my days off). First aid was okay- I really used it more to annotate and consolidate the info from u world more than anything else.

Hope that helps!

Took it last week. MCQs were as expected. Most of the CCS were straightforward, though there were a few that I thought were a little more complex than I had anticipated. But still manageable. I did all of UWorld questions (plus a few additional blocks with questions I got wrong) over about a month and then wen over all of the CCS the last week before the exam. I studied mainly after work (2-3 hours a day, 3-4 days a week). Flipped through FA a little bit here or there, mainly on my weakest subjects.

UWorld average: ~58%, timed, unused, random (does not include the additional blocks of timed, incorrect, random)
UWorld self assessment (2 days before): 231

Will update when I get my score back.

Update: 224. Weakest was the CCS portion. Goodbye, USMLE!

(Step 1 - 222; Step 2 - 248)

Last edited:
only used UWORLD, completed 70% of the whole bank, average score of 65%. Completed about half of the UWORLD CCS cases. studied exactly 4 half days after clinic days (approx 5 hours a day) and then 2 full days right before the exam (8 hour days). Did not take the practice test.
Final score.
Step 3: 235
did reasonably well on CCS part too

For perspective.
step 2: 258
step 1: 255

it can be done without much studying. i was freaking out because seems like a good amount of people here barely pass or fail CCS because they didnt take it seriously and take enough time - which I felt was the category I am in :) . I contemplated pushing it back, but decided screw it and im glad it worked out.

Hi All,

Just wanted to share my experience since I found this forum helpful.

About me: Took the exam 08/04/12 and 08/06/12, new PGY2 in IM on a light month during July.

I studied about 4 weeks. Did all of world and finished at 61%, marked incorrect questions I wanted to review again and managed to redo 66% of those before the subscription expired. Used FA concurrently while I did questions. I also purchased world CCS simulations and read the explanations of 75% of those (making sure to do the non-IM ones first). Practiced the 6 CCS cases released by USMLE as well.

Test days: I found day 1 to be easier than the second day. I purposely scheduled Step 3 on a Saturday-Monday so that I would have Sunday in between to rest/review for CCS. The CCS cases mostly ended early for me, but I had one or 2 that went the full time. I still don't know what was wrong with the kid in one of the pediatric cases I had. I even talked to a med-peds person and he did not know either. Hopefully it was an experimental case!

Score: 228/85

Time to make some more money :D

Thanks for all the advise on this forum everyone. CCS cases are the most confusing for me.

1. How important do you think all the "follow up" orders are in the scoring system (i.e occupational therapy, smoking cessation, med compliance counseling, etc.)?

2. Were the topics on the real test more or less covered in all the UWORLD scenarios or did you have curve balls?

Members don't see this ad :)
The two digit score is screwy it seems, not that it really matters.

I took it earlier this week.
To study, I read First Aid once. Then completed all of the USMLEworld questions (mostly tutor mode as time is never an issue with me) with a 62% average. I also did all 52 cases and repeated the ones in which I had any difficulty.

Exam: Finished all of the blocks with 5 to 10 min to spare. The USMLEworld questions were somewhat similar to what the real thing had, except I felt like the real thing had more outpatient scenarios. I didn't feel great about the blocks, but it seems like everyone is the same way.
11 of the 12 cases went great. The patient got better quickly and the cases ended in 5 to 10 minutes. The other one was a mystery to me. The patient never got better but never got worse, but the case still ended in less than 10 minutes.

I'll report back when I get the score in a few weeks I assume.

Update: 234. The scores of all of the areas were pretty similar. CCS was right in the middle despite the one case where I was never sure what happened.

So do all of USMLEworld and the cases and you should be good to go. I don't think the review book helped. Very happy to be finished with USMLE!

My experience:

Background:
Step 1: 249
Step 2: 267

Study Plan: 1 month to complete UWorld MCQ and CCS questions. In actuality, it took me ~3 weeks to complete them both, so I was able to go back through some incorrect questions and 1/4 of the cases again. I admit though, my patience was running thin after my first pass.

Test Day 1: A little harder than expected. Many vague questions with what appeared to me to be 2-3 correct answers. There was 2 hard, 2 medium, and 3 easy sections, if I had to break them down. The "emergency/inpatient" sections were more difficult for some reason. Time went quickly though and getting through the 7 sections wasn't too terrible.

Test Day 2: Much easier day. 3 easy and 1 medium mcq section. The CCS cases were relatively straightforward and nothing that I wasn't prepared for after doing UWorld. The longest one of my cases went was maybe 12 mins. And in agreement with some of the previous posters, they do quit at awkward times.

Overall: It was about as expected. The first day was a little harder than I anticipated, but the second day was a little easier. It probably averages out. I recommend UWorld MCQ and CCS. The stuff I didn't know on the exam wouldn't have been found in a review book anyways, so that would have been a waste of time. Will update with my score when it is available.

***UPDATE***
Got my score today - 237. Average was 219, standard deviation of 17. Pretty happy overall, wouldn't do anything different. My lowest section was CCS, which is crazy because all of my cases ended really early and I thought I did a good job on them. That section makes no sense.

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Here is my experience (I'm a PGY 2 surgery resident):

Studied on and (mostly) off for 2 weeks about one 48 question block a day, and the last 5 days approaching the test 2-3 blocks per day. Completed about 30% of usmle world (avg 57%) then focused on the ccs portion the day before and night of the first day doing some of the blocks and reading all the answers. I walked out of the first day thinking I was failing. Most of the questions had to do with subjects like derm, peds, and other medicine areas I haven't thought about in over 2 years. The next morning wasn't much better, but the CCS portion went well I think because I had gotten a feel for the system and read through all of the case answers at least. Still overall wasn't sure that this would be my last time taking a USMLE exam.

Well score report showed up today on my checking the website (no email yet) and I PASSED with a 230!!

As background
Step I: 240
Step 2: 250

Hey friends,
Just popping in to throw in my Step 3 experience...
My prep: about 40% of the UW Q-bank with an average of 65% on timed tutor mode..and 1/2 the CCS cases done (read through the rest of it).
My background: Step 1: 220-something; Step 2: 240-something (99)....
My take on the test: Wow. Harder than I thought.
The first day of MCQ I thought that the ER/Inpatient side was much more challenging. Some questions I was sure that there were two right answers which I know is not a good sign. I would ask myself: well, should I put what we actually do (or I see attendings do) or should I put this other thing? I had to force myself to go with my gut in a lot of cases, and found that time was a pressure which it wasn't at all for Steps 1/2.
The second day I thought the MCQ were not as bad. The CCS cases...about 8/12 of them ended pretty quickly for me and then there were four patients that I know that I had mistakes with. One lady refused a surgery (oops) and I ordered the wrong antibiotics on a kid (oops...I normally check up to date and use calculators for kid things...)..I also didn't get the diagnosis on one patient in on time. Yikes!

I am not expecting anything stellar but need to put up the Pass. Who else took it recently and is waiting for scores??

J

Just got my score back Wednesday (3 weeks after I took it). I'm a pgy-1 path resident who hasn't seen a patient in over a year.

Step 1: 269
Step 2: 279
Step 3: 251

Completed all of UWORLD with 72% correct and went through most of the CCS cases. On one of the CCS cases on the real thing I went down the complete wrong diagnostic pathway for the first 15 min and did not finish the case but still ended up with a good performance in that portion. There is a lot of margin for error on this thing.

To those of you who used UW CCS cases to practice:

How was the UW CSS software compared to the software on the real exam? Any differences/short-comings with the UW software?

Uworld w/ 60% average first time through w/ zero pre-Uworld studying. Repeated any marked questions (ones I was SURE I knew what was or was NOT the answer and I was wrong) and about half repeated the ones I missed. Did all the CCS cases once and reviewed them twice.

Test Oct 26-27.... Score on 11/21

Results: 221 Sweet!!

Last edited:
USMLE World 63%
Did all of CCS at least once (about half of it I looked at twice)
Read Conrad Fischer's Master the Board book

Got score back today and it was a 238

...somehow got above the borderline on CCS and yet I'm pretty sure I killed 2 patients and 2 more didn't get any better.

UW average: 61% (timed, random questions)
UW self assessment: 228
NBME form 3: score 610 (converts to ~ 241)
STEP 3 result: 238, did well in CCS.

I started with Kaplan STEP3 books (including Q-book and CCS book). Finished all UW. Did all CCS cases and read over the supplemental ones. Took NBME a couple of days before real test.

For reference, I used Washington Manuals: "Outpatient Internal Medicine," "Medical Therapeutics," "Pediatrics."

On exam day: I thought the questions were a fair mix of very easy and more difficult ones.
CCS software was pretty much identical to that in UW. I felt well-prepared. Out of 12 cases, 9 were straightforward and ended quickly. For the other 3 I either could not quite nail down the diagnosis or the patients remained in status quo despite my interventions. ie "the patient hopes the medication will make him feel better" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Time to give back.

Studied for about 14 to 16 days, it's tough to find time to study for step 3 in residency, studied for 2-3 hours after work everyday and about 6-8 hours on my days off probably 3 in total. Read MTB once excluding obgyn and psych. Did 48% of USMLE world bank, mixed, timed with an average of 60%. Practiced about 12 CCS cases, did not have time to do more.
Took step 3 at the end of last month.
I felt half my exam was peds and psych. I took a break after every block ( can't sit for more than a hour at a time.) The first day was long but those new drug ad's OMG kicked my back side every time and were long. After the first one I decided not to waste any more time on them and leave it for the end of the block. Had probably 5-6 total drug ad's.
8 of the CCS cases were straight forward. 1 peds case, I had no idea what was going on, the kid never got better. 3 of the other cases I also messed up by forgetting to put in the correct orders.
Got my score yesterday 212 quite a bit lower then my step 1 and 2 score but I am just glad to be done with the USMLE foreva:)
Thank you GOD for all your help.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread! Reading about everyone's experiences definitely kept me sane while studying. I took my exam on 11/13-11/14, and got my score exactly 3 Wednesdays later (today)- there wasn't an email or anything, I just checked the website.

Background: Took Step 3 in November of my pedi intern year. I had read First Aid for Step 3 during my MS4 year, but barely opened it during my ~6 weeks of studying. I did roughly one block of 48 questions per day, all in timed non-tutor mode.

UW: 61% correct overall
UW self-assessment 2 weeks before exam date: 215

NBME practice materials: 83% overall on MC

CCS cases: Did ~15 UW cases, all 6 NBME practice cases, then read most of the rest of the UW cases quickly in the 3 days before the exam. On the actual test, 10 of the 12 cases ended very quickly (and abruptly), but 2 of them never ended. One of them was simple and I just blanked, but the other one kept going even after I did this ridiculous workup.

Step 1: 241
Step 2: 252
Step 3: 222

Like many others on this thread, I definitely went down a whole bunch on Step 3 compared to the other 2, but don't even care! Just relieved that I don't have to spend another $700 on this silliness :)

I got a very high score on Step 2

but as I am doing UWorld Step 3, I am totally getting my rear handed to me.

Does anyone else experience this?

UWorld 64%
Real thing 237

I did 3/4 of UWorld on untimed tutor mode, did all the cases, and read like 2 chapters in the Kaplan review book which was pretty worthless. I think I studied around 40 hours total on an easy rotation on the weekends and after work.

Step 1 230s
Step 2 240s

I am a PGY2 which was definitely the most helpful thing of all. If you are in family med, internal med, peds, or ER, wait until 2nd year--more time to study and you have to study so much less!

I felt that the outpatient portions of the exam were much easier than the inpatient, but that just may be my strength. Luckily, the exam was 3/4 or more outpatient. I finished all my cases early, although they were mildly more challenging than on UWorld, in the sense that there was more multistep thinking/the most common diagnosis wasn't always the diagnosis, but if you did a full workup you would always figure out what was wrong.

Last edited:
Thought I'd contribute since I used this thread to help me prep and it seems like a lot less people post their experiences compared to Step 1 and 2.

Took the exam at the end of November and received my score yesterday. Took 4-5 weeks to study, average about 2-3 hours 4-5 days a week but a little more during the 2 weeks leading up. Seemed like it was more than most others but I was worried because I was taking it without having done any internal medicine (as well any of the other high yield specialties) since MS3. TY and I've been on electives all intern year so far.

Books: Used MTB. Read through once and then skimmed through weak sections a couple days before the exam. Thought it was alright but nothing compared to FA for Step 1. Covered basic high yield stuff but the exam had a fair amount of minutia not addressed in MTB.

MCQs: Used UW, 100% completed on timed mode, overall average 69%. Same as with MTB - thought it was decent but nothing compared to UW for Step 1 and 2. There were some questions that were directly taken from UW. Between MTB and UW I would say the UW was probably the better resource.

CCS: Used UW, went through 1/4 of them like I would on the real thing, but after I felt like I had the hang of it, I started just reading the summary pages. This was probably the most beneficial resource for the CCS part.

Day 1: The MCQs were somewhat harder than what I was anticipating. Fair number of questions where I felt like I could narrow it down to 2 choices but had a tough time picking. A few random Step 1 type questions which were annoying. The abstract and drug ad questions are a pain because they kill time, which sometimes was an issue. I was finishing UW questions sets with >5-10 min to spare even after going back to flagged questions, but on the real thing there some blocks where I was barely finishing in time. There were still a good amount of straight forward questions, but not enough to walk out of Day 1 confident.

Day 2: The MCQs were either easier or maybe I had gotten into test mode. CCS was pretty straightforward. Very similar to the UW CCS cases. Same layout and format, only difference was that there were a couple cases that had a shorter time (8 min) limit than usual. Finished almost all the cases early, except 1 or 2 where it took me a little while to figure out what was going on. Usually you have a pretty good idea of what it is from the HPI.

Step 1: 244
Step 2: 260
Step 3: 251

I was surprised because of how the first day went. Most be a nice curve or something.

UW CCS software is nearly identical compared to that on the real exam. No differences noted. Highly recommend.

Last edited:
Done.

UWorld average 71%, all ?'s, tutor mode.
UWSA: 256.

Step I: 240's
Step II: 270's
Step III: 255

Did all of the Uworld questions x1.5 and the CCS cases.

For those of you who already taken the exam...

Was the actual exam that much harder than UW?

Are the questions mixed or broken up into clinic vs inpatient blocks?

Are CCS cases always on the second day of exam?

For the CCS cases mine end pretty quickly before I get to discharge pt home or write counseling instructions for them. Is that normal? Will I be penalized for that?

Also on the outpatient clinic cases the lab tests don't come back for hours so do you send the pt home in the meantime and have them come back before you review results?

Thanks for the help.

For those of you who already taken the exam...

Was the actual exam that much harder than UW?

Are the questions mixed or broken up into clinic vs inpatient blocks?

Are CCS cases always on the second day of exam?

For the CCS cases mine end pretty quickly before I get to discharge pt home or write counseling instructions for them. Is that normal? Will I be penalized for that?

Also on the outpatient clinic cases the lab tests don't come back for hours so do you send the pt home in the meantime and have them come back before you review results?

Thanks for the help.

1) I'd say equivalent if not a little bit harder.

2) Each block is a specific setting.

3) Always on the second day. Never heard of anyone having it otherwise.

4) It's typically a good thing when your case ends early. It means you've got the diagnosis and computer system recognizes it.

5) Yeah send the patient home. If you don't, they leave anyways (on UW CCS at least).

DOne with USMLE! YAY!
UWSA 229 and 223 on the real thing. I did well on CCS. Def use the USMLE world CCS cases -- this really brought my score up! Good luck to you all!

gen surg PGY2

usmelworld 59%. mostly untimed tutor mode, some timed blocks. ended up finishing 90% of the bank. used FA minimally as a reference
worked through about half of the uworld practice cases, read through the rest of them.

actual score 217

a few observations--
-i felt awful after the exam. knew i probably passed but i wouldn't have been surprised if i failed. the exam really makes you feel ******ed.
-there's a lot about the cases that's confusing. every time i sent a patient to the OR the case would end and they would then ask me to enter any additional orders. i wasn't sure if that meant preop orders or postop orders. and apparently i performed "borderline" on my cases
-i felt like there was a lot on the exam that wasn't on uworld and a lot on uworld that wasnt on the exam. uworld wasnt as good a representation of content for step 3 as i felt it was for step 2
-time was NEVER as issue for me when i did timed blocks in uworld, but it was a huge issue during the actual test. might have been related to fatigue because the test was so damn long. but it felt like on most blocks i was right down to the wire.

Time to give back. I'm doing a TY going into derm. Studied for ~ 2 weeks on and off during my ICU month. Skimmed MTB and finished UWorld on tutor mode with a 71% average and CCS cases. Step 1 255, Step 2 256, Step 3 241. Did above average on CCS but overall very happy. Good luck to all!

Hey, got my score, 226. I used U world (did all the questions, and then did my missed questions). I'm not positive about my %, I never checked b/c I didn't want to psych myself out, but it was probably around 50-60%. But here's the important thing about Qbanks, whether you use Kaplan or Uworld: It does not matter how much you know or what you miss on these practice questions so long as you do all of your missed questions and understand the material before the REAL exam (seriously, who cares if you get 90% right on qbank, you just dropped $150 for about only 120 questions that you didn't know to begin with....) Good luck!

PGY 1 in EM residency. Goal is to pass.

I somehow got a file online, that someone typed all the Kaplan qbank questions in a word doc. I did about 350qs, about 50% right. Did them during my lighter shifts over 3-4 weeks roughly. I tried to read MTB but got bored out of my mind on page 2. Looked over the CCS samples from the USMLE website to get familiarized with the software. (which is poorly designed IMO...)

SO many peds/ob questions, both were my worst subjects.

I guessed roughly about 1/3 to 1/2 of the answers! CCS were much easier. Luckily 7 out of 9 were ER cases, I think I spent about 2 minutes on each of the cases with the exception of one.

Passed :love:, did pretty well in CCS (which is what helped me pass this test) but mqs brought me down to 210s. haha. oh well.
So, do refresh your memories about what you'd forgotten in med school, and at least run through the free CCS provided by USMLE site.

Time to contribute.

EM pgy1.
Step 1: 239
Step 2: 255
Step 3: 233

UWorld: 65% Cumulative correct (finished 66% of UWorld, timed, unused mode)
Did all the 50-some UWold cases once, read through about a third of the answers again between test days.

I studied for 2.5 weeks after work on a lighter month, just uworld, nothing else. Doing any other reading just for step 3 is probably overkill for most people.

PGY-1 EM

Step 1: 210s
Step 2: 240s
Step 3: 230s

I did about 90% of the UWorld question bank (~55% correct first time through) and then went through about 50% of the questions I missed over the course of 2-3 weeks. I also did all the 52 CCS cases in the last week or so leading up to the test then just read over about half of the cases between test days.

If you're in a rather broad specialty like EM, IM, FM, etc., you should be in good shape. If you're in a more specific specialty, I'd try to take Step 3 early on in your residency.

IMG, 1 year postgraduation with little postgraduate clinical exposure, no residency training. Starting IM this year.
Step 1 253
Step 2 CK 270s
Step 3 225-230

Only did UW. No extra reading. Did about 70-80% of UW questions, averaged 65% correct, all in timed/test/random mode. For some reason I actually started out at a steady 70% for 10+ blocks, and started doing really terrible on the last ones. Did all 52 CCS cases 1-2 times each.

I felt pretty good coming out of the exam and I honestly expected a higher score but w/e. CCS was alright - I'm pretty sure I handled all the cases well except for one, but on the performance graph, CCS performance was not stellar by any means. All cases ended early. Worse topic by far was peds (embarassingly bad performance)

~55% correct on UWORLD is enough to comfortably pass based on this thread.

60% correct for cushion.

Above 60% on UWORLD, and you are just showing off. lol

UW Average: 59%
CCS - I did about 30 cases in depth, skimmed through the last 20.
Actual test: 204/78

I only used UW, did about 70% of the questions. Real exam MCQ's felt easier than UW but the CCS were definitely more difficult.

E92er Congrats on passing. When did you take your test? I was expecting mine today! how long before the score did the print permit link disappear? thx

So I'm currently doing the case simulations on UWorld. Do they not score you after the case is complete? Reading the case explanation is helpful but I would like to know if what I did would be passable.

Thanks!

So I'm currently doing the case simulations on UWorld. Do they not score you after the case is complete? Reading the case explanation is helpful but I would like to know if what I did would be passable.

Thanks!

Kind of annoying, but no, they don't score you.

Thanks for letting me know. Yeah it's pretty annoying. This test is too damn expensive to take twice haha

Thanks for letting me know. Yeah it's pretty annoying. This test is too damn expensive to take twice haha
Have you guys noticed a difference in stopping the clock advance or letting it go in UW CCS? There doesn't seem to be a difference when I stop the clock or keep it going, it's just more convenient for results to pop up. Any differences regarding this on the actual exam?

Thanks!