Step 3 study recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocShark

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been using UW and Archer primarily. Also got Step-Up and have been referencing the book. My goal is to go through both UW and Archer and perhaps add other sources if needed

I want to get a high score on this exam. What other sources are good? Should I also get Kaplan?

Do people use other resources here for IM? MKSAP? Knowmedge? MedStudy?

I am taking the exam in June so it gives me a couple months to add sources. Any feedback would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have been using UW and Archer primarily. Also got Step-Up and have been referencing the book. My goal is to go through both UW and Archer and perhaps add other sources if needed

I want to get a high score on this exam. What other sources are good? Should I also get Kaplan?

Do people use other resources here for IM? MKSAP? Knowmedge? MedStudy?

I am taking the exam in June so it gives me a couple months to add sources. Any feedback would be great.

I have failed first 2 attempts on Step 3 that is why for 3rd attempt (successful one :) )I used everything under the sun ;) I took Kaplan course (helped somewhat, but their lecture notes are the best study book), Archer (good for CSS), USMLE consult CSS (it helped A LOT for CSS preparation because compared to UWORLD it teaches sequence of orders). Things that didn't help or helped somewhat - USMELWORLD (no correlation on number of questions and % with exam score - did Q bank several times and assessment and failed 2 times), Master the boards - most of the question on real exam are not covered at MTB, bunch of other books. My biggest advise would be - concentrate on CSS - they comprise 25% of your score and many MCQ where written as case, so by mastering cases you actually covering a lot of material for MCQ as well. Also, if your are recent graduate you may not need such extensive learning.
Good luck!

Thank you so much for the feedback! I feel like I am doing alright preparing for CCS - I have been practicing for quite some time. Do you have any suggestions on additional MCQ? I have been debating between MKSAP, Knowmedge, or MedStudy for additional IM Questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys benefit from MKSAP as well after doing UWORLD and ARCHER ??

Hello I just took Step 3 and I wanted to post somewhere on the internet my experiences. I know that this website helped me when I was studying for Step 3 so I feel like its important to give some advice back.

Residency: Family medicine
Study time: 6 months
Step 1: 201
Step 2 CK: 203
Step 2 CS: pass
Step 3: 200

Study materials: UW, UW Biostats, UW CCS software (only not the paper), and Master the Boards
I studied for 6 months
I bought the UW QBank software and took notes on all the material. This took me approx 4 months slow and steady to finish. I did the UW QBank again and review my notes prior to doing the questions. In the last 2 months I read master the boards. This was a really good book because it gave you just enough material for the basic science information. I finished this book and wrote notes on each section. I also did the CCS UW software which looks exactly like the test.

Test Days:
Day 1: Very very hard. The stems were long and on each block I had to guess on the last 5-8 Qs. The first day had biostat questions as well as basic science questions. 8-3pm was day 1.
Day 2: Still very hard but not as hard. I took day 1 on Tues. then Day 2 on Thurs. I liked having the day in between to take a break and review CCS as well as review more information. Day 2 Qs had shorter stems, but I still had to guess on last 5-8 Q's in each block. The questions were more clinically based. 75% of the day was Q's then the second part 25% was CCS. CCS cases given on UW was very similiar to the test.

Things I would have done differently:
I would have done CCS paper UW. I would have worked more on my speed so that I could have finished the blocks.

Things to keep in mind:
I am a family medicine resident I have seen a lot of these cases in my training. If you are in a different specialty that does not see pediatric, OB patient then this may need to be reviewed more. I also struggled with my first step exams so I knew I needed to take this exam seriously and study hard so if you feel the same way to then I would do the same. It is a hard exam.

Result release
I received my results on the 3rd Wednesday after the exam at 11pm. I did not receive an email until 8:30 am so check the website at 11pm/12am.

Good luck and I hope this helps